Input on thermal protection needed?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...For the OP @1000RR , I think getting a 5mm and adding a hooded vest is a good option. Having a wetsuit that fits well as you've already stated will go a long way and I think you will find a lot of opportunity to use the 5mm in Florida or even abroad. 5mm is my workhorse and I also travel with a hooded vest just in case, especially for back to back days of diving or cooler upwellings. It's quite hard to feel too warm in a wetsuit in-water and it's easy enough to flood it, for me at least. I always err on the side of being warmer because being cold is not good on a dive.
That's what I ended up doing... I purchased some closeout specials on some good $400 wetsuits for about $80ea (5mm). We already had 3/5 hoods so we're good there.

For gloves, I have the Aqua Lung Ava gloves. I hate wearing gloves too and if I'm going to bother, it's probably quite cold and if I'm going to bother, I want to be toasty. Those are 6mm and are pretty inexpensive. What do I hate wearing the most? Hoods...but when you're cold, you're cold.
I did end up getting some 3mm Scubapro gloves for each of us. I doubt we'll use them unless the water is in the 50's or 60's... but they will be nice for sure then!!

PS...1000RR as in the motorcycle or something else? :)
Haha, yes motorcycle. Use to race pretty serious for a bit.

That's what I ended up doing... I purchased some closeout specials on some good $400 wetsuits for about $80ea (5mm). We already had 3/5 hoods so we're good there.

I did end up getting some 3mm Scubapro gloves for each of us. I doubt we'll use them unless the water is in the 50's or 60's... but they will be nice for sure then!!

Haha, yes motorcycle. Use to race pretty serious for a bit.

I'm glad to hear you were able to put together something that works out without spending a whole bunch.

:daydream: ....I love sports and supersports. I've been looking to get a new bike for a while (a ZX-6R) but diving keeps getting all of my money.

I'm glad to hear you were able to put together something that works out without spending a whole bunch.

:daydream: ....I love sports and supersports. I've been looking to get a new bike for a while (a ZX-6R) but diving keeps getting all of my money.
Nice! A 6R is what I won an open class championship on... couldn't out accelerate them but could hammer em on the brakes. Plus it was a bit shorter of a track too... 1.3 mile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom