Instant Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi here at "Total Recall Diving" we can supply you with all the dive logs you need.
We spend a minimum of 8 weeks a year diving Central America. For only 25 cents a dive you too can be a pro...................... If you can't find the dive you need, no problem just give us some minor details and we will custom write an entry for you....

I make at least 200 dives a year, been diving for over 30 years - quit writing in a log book about 25 years ago....................

Log books aren't any better then Hats and Patches.

Just my opion - I could be wrong

In eleven years of diving and nearly 600 dives I have never been asked to show my dive log. Has anyone ever been asked?

Tom725:
In eleven years of diving and nearly 600 dives I have never been asked to show my dive log. Has anyone ever been asked?
Never on a dive, only when signing up for more advanced classes. I stopped logging after I reached Rescue.

Recently, while unpacking some old boxes, I ran across my original logbook from the late 70's, it was such a hoot to read that I may start logging again.

partridge:
Im not really sure the certificate and badge is a bad thing. Some students find it a major accomplishment to finish a diving course whether OW AOW Rescue or DM. Im thinking of giving a badge and certificate to my students. Some will appreciate it, some wont. But Im thinking that I might get some good from those that like it and I wont get anything bad from those that dont.
verybaddiver:
some people might appreciate it, but quite simply i don't personally believe its a safe attitude to dive for badges :> (its better to dive for gold and other treasure)

Ummm , I don't think anyone is going to take the classes just to get the badges
But ... after I complete my Rescue class , I will look at that badge as an indication/reminder of the work/satisfaction that I have for obtaining it. Not so much as an indicator of my skill level (what skills, look at my dive number) but as an indication of my attitude

DB

When it comes down to it, certificates, c-cards, hats, shirts, badges and logbooks are all just outward symbols. All of them, like college degrees, can be purchased by folks who haven't earned them. And, like the folks who buy college degrees online, it becomes pretty obvious within the first few moments of conversation just how much the fake credentials are worth.

I've encountered interenet PhDs and an internet war hero in my professional career, and they really don't fool anybody. And when it comes to diving, if somebody is dumb enough to go on an advanced dive with a c-card that he or she bought on ebay, well then we can rest assured that Natural Selection is a benevolent process that continues to improve the species.

It reminds me of H.L. Mencken's "On Chiropractic", one of my favorite essays on medical quackery:

"I repeat that it eases and soothes me to see them [Chiropractors] so prosperous, for they counteract the evil work of the so-called science of public hygiene, which now seeks to make imbeciles immortal. If a man, being ill of a pus appendix, resorts to a shaved and fumigated longshoreman to have it disposed of, and submits willingly to a treatment involving balancing him on McBurney's spot and playing on his vertebrae as on a concertina, then I am willing, for one, to believe that he is badly wanted in Heaven. And if that same man, having achieved lawfully a lovely babe, hires a blacksmith to cure its diphtheria by puffing its neck, then I do not resist the divine will that there shall be one less radio fan later on. In such matters, I am convinced, the laws of nature are far better guides than the fiats and machinations of medical busybodies. If the latter gentlemen had their way, death, save at the hands of hangmen, policemen and other such legalized assassins, would be abolished altogether, and the present differential in favor of the enlightened would disappear. I can't convince myself that that would work any good to the world. On the contrary, it seems to me that the current coddling of the half-witted should be stopped before it goes too far -if, indeed, it has not gone too far already. " Source: http://www.bizbag.com/mencken/menkchiro.htm

-G

Tom725:

The only time I was asked for my log book was when I went for my instructor course. As far as asking for my c card, I've only been asked to produce it about a 6 or 8 times. Most of those in Mexico. I went to one shop to get nitrox, pulled out my nitrox and the manager finally asked what it was, some type of discount card. :11:

Jason B:
Yep, I just got my fill whip/usb connector in today. In fact, I'm filling my doubles via broadband as we speak. I hear dial-up doesn't work as well. :wink:

Jason

Dial-up is OK, so long as you're only filling a pony! :)

Dom

Grier, you kill me, that was a good one...lo
and i was almost done with my online cop certificate

When I DM I ask.
When I have been on dive boats I have been asked.
the last 3 trips I went on, Club Med in the turks and Caicos, Sea Sport Divers in Kauai, and Blackbeards in the bahamas all asked.

I've never been asked to hand over my logbook, although I've been quizzed about my experience and asked for proof of certification.

For those that have been asked for their logbook, when do they do it? On the boat? In the shop? just curious.

Back
Top Bottom