Instant Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom725:
In eleven years of diving and nearly 600 dives I have never been asked to show my dive log. Has anyone ever been asked?

Yup, by the 'friendly' immigration lady in Cairns Airport who thought I might be a political asylum seeker or something.

"So you dive? May I see your log book? No log book? You mean your watch logs every dive that you make? May I see it? Where is your buddy?".

It is funny to read this thread because it is a contrary idea to what I have been advised.

Many DMs and instructors told me, “You never bring a high level C-card because the charters used to hook an advanced diver up with a relative newbie. I don’t think I am an advanced diver though….

I am curious why someone needs to cheat their skill level? What is for? The Nitrox and Dry suit CC might be reasonable to cheat, but why DM or Instructors?

Even though you are wearing a bimmer hat, it doesn’t mean you are a bimmer owner.

And I'm wasting my time taking a rescue class??? Shoulda just bought the patch and saved my time and money...oh well, maybe I can get the DM patch instead of studying for that.

As for the certificates, patches, diplomas and other "Love Me" badges of honor....PADI has a little trick to resolve the wannabe problem. DIVECHEK and the good ole C-Card resolve those issues. As for most wannabes, the wouldn't dare set up a rig by themselves anyway. Just be careful out there in SCUBA-LAND though. I have noticed a rash of under-qualified divers looking to go on more advanced dives. This is always a risk we run in this business. The dive log is still a good check for the "unknown" diver. Be safe!

The worst diver I have ever dived with had a divemaster card. We knew this as he spoke about it constantly and after an eventual week with him on board a liveaboard in Thailand we actually checked and confirmed he held one. Unfortunately I left before we could find out how he got it.

This gentleman could not place his BC on his tank correctly without assistance
This gentleman could not place his regulators on his tank correctly without assistance.
This gentleman could not place his weights in his BC correctly without assistance.

For someone who is meant to be able to teach other divers:

He always swam within 1 metres of his ‘buddy’, typically getting in the way…
Swam predominately with his hands, routinely knocking out his buddies regulator...
Would suck through an Al80 inside 20 minutes…
Would wait until the very last moment to notify that he was out of air…
Would inflate his BC fully when entering water with strong current and be swept away…
Etc…

One day I will sit down and dedicate an entire thread to his memory, but until then the above few snippets will do to suggest there are people out there who need to hold an advanced card no matter how appalling they are...

Cheers,
Rohan.

hoosier:
Many DMs and instructors told me, “You never bring a high level C-card because the charters used to hook an advanced diver up with a relative newbie. I don’t think I am an advanced diver though….

I am curious why someone needs to cheat their skill level? What is for? The Nitrox and Dry suit CC might be reasonable to cheat, but why DM or Instructors?

Many DM's and Instructors do that because dive shops often use them as extra members of staff (getting to babysit/guide/supervise), while charging full price for the charter.

A few examples...

I was sent out with a father and son doing OW3 - with no buddy and had to sit and watch as they ran through skills on a house reef - charged full price.

I booked on charter to dive a deep (30m) wreck.. buddied with two recently qualified OW divers - so limited to 18m, and the son panicked - again full price.

Went out on a boat with a newly qualified DM and about a group of 10 other divers. DM is briefing away and basically let everyone know that I was going to be leading the dive and would deal with any problems. On a site I'd never dived in about 2m vis and a six/seven metre surge.

Now while I'm certainly not suggesting that I'm reluctant to help (if I can) or that I don't want to dive with less experienced divers, I do not think it is right that as a 'normal' customer my dive experience should be hindered from the outset.

This is why some DM's etc hide the level. It's not something I've done, but am certainly considering it in the future.

humanFish:
I've never been asked to hand over my logbook, although I've been quizzed about my experience and asked for proof of certification.

For those that have been asked for their logbook, when do they do it? On the boat? In the shop? just curious.

I have had both. on blackbeards the boat is the only place you get to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom