instructor cross over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faye once bubbled...
I have become tired of dealing with PADI and teaching their courses and would like to cross over to another angency that allows me to develop my own teaching format.
I have heard that SSI encourages their instructors to build there own course structure and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them or other agencys in this respect?

If you have a Local ANDI affiliated shop you might want to consider that as an alternative.. Independents are not allowed..

The instructor is allowed freendom as long as all requirements are met.. This is not a quickie class, and requires 5 seperate pool sessions and lectures sessions at minimum.. its meant to assure as much instructor contact as possible, no read the book, watch the videos and take an exam.. the class is lecture driven. Like most agencies used to be in the past before this quickie cert process..
There are no administrative crossovers, but it isn't an overly burdensome process for current instructors..
At last count ANDI had about 100 different certs available, both recreational and technical.

ANDI also requires all DMS and instructors to possess a current Oxygen administration rating as well as CPR and first Aid.

NAUI is pretty sweet. Being alowed to actually teach for a specific area or style of diving (which in my area is essential)

an example would be shore diving in an area that can get pounded with surf. Things like going into the water when theres only a 1foot swell and returning to find a 4foot swell.

I see those poor PADI guys getting pounded... and with 70lbs of gear that can't be fun.

Anyhow... NAUI has been great for me and many people I know...

Good Luck :D

wheezy once bubbled...
NAUI is pretty sweet. Being alowed to actually teach for a specific area or style of diving (which in my area is essential)

an example would be shore diving in an area that can get pounded with surf. Things like going into the water when theres only a 1foot swell and returning to find a 4foot swell.

I see those poor PADI guys getting pounded... and with 70lbs of gear that can't be fun.

Anyhow... NAUI has been great for me and many people I know...

Good Luck :D

Why would PADI guys get pounded worse than any one else?

Though a small organization they are great to work with. Class structure is quite flexible and very independent instructor friendly.

Everyone is on a first name bases and our president has stated that quality comes first and we are instructors not sales agents.

The texts are the best I have seen with any organization...very to the point. Costs per student is about half of what PADI charges.

Certification levels are similar to that of PADI with less emphasis on speciality cards. The Advanced + card has 3 specialities included...Deep, Night & Navigation.

I have taught with NASDS, MDEA, PADI & HSAI. By far I'm most happy with NASE. HSAI is also great, but it has a specific audience.

cudachaser once bubbled...

The texts are the best I have seen with any organization...very to the point. Costs per student is about half of what PADI charges.

Which costs are half? books? cert fees? entire class?

It is mostly through different PADI shops that I have taught. I am still a little new to this teaching thing, only a year into it, but I am also with not being able to communicate to the students what I think is important to know as a novice diver. I just think that the PADI system fills newbies with SO much useless information rather then concentrating on the basics of diving.
If I spent as much time as I wanted to on bouyancy skills, trim and weighting, along with the stuff you MUSTteach, I'd never get done! I just feel like I am giving them a little about alot rather then the oposite. I don't think the program really reinforces basic skills. It a program designed to peak the intrest of the newbie so they will progress through the PADI system and turn them into card freaks!!

GRRRRRRRR!!! :boom:

Easy there I'm getting into a rant!!

Anybody hear what I am saying??

faye,

I have posted alot on the board about how I teach so I don't want to repeat it all here. The short version though is that I put a priority on trim, buoyancy control and finning technique. IMO, none of the other stuff counts unless you can do it and maintain control of position and maintain buddy contact. That means not silting the place out either.

I teach all that and do it within the PADI standards. I spend more time in the pool than some instructors but it makes life much easier in OW. I also elaborate on topics like the mechanics of trim in the class room.

If the problem is the amount of time the shop allows you with the class I doubt changing agency will solve your problem. It sounds to me like what you need is to teach for a shop that wants to teach diving as apposed to just selling a card.

My solution was a bit drastic but I ended up with my own shop mostly because I wouldn't teach a class with only six hours in the pool.

Welcome to recreational diving today.

Mike

faye once bubbled...

If I spent as much time as I wanted to on bouyancy skills, trim and weighting, along with the stuff you MUSTteach, I'd never get done! I just feel like I am giving them a little about alot rather then the oposite.

By the 4th pool session, students can look pretty good in the water.

Lookin' Good

There are students in a couple of the pics that belonged to another class. I'll let you guess which students.

Bob O.

I am both a NAUI and PADI instructor, and frankly I too don't think crossing over is necessary (although if you want, come on out to CA and I'll cross you over :) ). PADI has more flexibility in the program than most realize. Like Mike F. has said quite often, more time in the pool is key. I can pretty much teach all the skills from a NAUI course in a PADI class. It's a matter of where you teach it, and whether you require it to pass the course.
Since buoyancy training is the issue, I have started teaching buoyancy from the first pool session. Now, PADI doesnt' have that until the 3rd session, but there is nothing prohibiting you from doing it sooner. IME, if you don't change anything but start teaching buoyancy right away you will see a big change. You CAN use the PADI system, keep with standard and still teach how you want. Lots of experience on this board, feel free to ask questions.
Neil

Back
Top Bottom