instructor cross over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faye once bubbled...
I just think that the PADI system fills newbies with SO much useless information rather then concentrating on the basics of diving.

Anybody hear what I am saying??

I hear what yer saying, but I disagree, at least about that part of the quote. IMO, the PADI course doesn't give ENOUGH information about diving. I'd like to hear and discuss what you think is useless info in the course.
Neil

Right on neil, There is no such thing as to much info, but I think that alot of the stuff in the manuals isn't really of importance to a newbie diver. For example, I don't think we need to go over the different types of diving, shore, boat, drift diving, etc. It dosn't apply to there present situation. I think it would help if there was a core program that all students learn. This would include basic gas laws, equipment function and service, physiological effects of preasure, that sort of stuff. Afterwards. the instructor would have the option of educating them about the local area. Now it seems to me that we educate about everything rather then on the really important things.

I think it is a good call focusing on bouyancy right from the get go, and I am applying that now. I guess I am pissed of with the way this sport is going. I have noticed it more and more since I started instructing. I take diving seriously and don't like is when other people getting into diving treating it like archery lessons at the local Y!!

I see that the programs seems to reflect this take on diving. Get 'em through get the cash because they don't take it seriously anyway. Who care about the trainning anyway. Mabey its not PADI system I'm pissed at but the industry!!
I'm new any thoughts!! Befor I start teaching archery

:(;-0

the industry has responded to what most customers want---
a fun somewhat exciting something extra to do on a vacation to somewhere exotic this year. Oh what the heck next year we'll learn to ski, or sky dive or rock climb or......

Even the number of registered members on this board are an extremely small number compared to how many people are actually scuba certified. When you look at the number of people that actually participate actively on this board you see that its a small percentage of the registered members.

The point is that most people are not really all that serious about diving. All they want is just enough training to get underwater and back to the surface without killing themselves just bcause they did go underwater. The industry has met that need.

faye once bubbled...
...... For example, I don't think we need to go over the different types of diving, shore, boat, drift diving, etc. It dosn't apply to there present situation. I think it would help if there was a core program that all students learn. This would include basic gas laws, equipment function and service, physiological effects of preasure, that sort of stuff. Afterwards. the instructor would have the option of educating them about the local area. Now it seems to me that we educate about everything rather then on the really important things.
I:(;-0

Faye,
Around here, even newbies do shore and boat diving. I can't see why you wouldn't include at least a mention of proper techniques for those even if they aren't going to do them with you. At worst, what is it, 15 minutes of class time?

I think you are on the right track in terms of prioritizing subject matter. Make sure that less important things take less time. I've seen instructors go on forever trying to explain the simplest things. There's no reason why you can't teach the gas laws and other subjects that you want to, you just need to find the time. (We talk a lot about time management in NAUI ITC's) Think of all the time you waste in the last PADI module on "meeting people, going places, and doing things" !! Now THAT'S something I wish I could skip entirely. Another way of finding time in PADI courses is to have students watch the required videos at home. They pick up a lot of the small junk you don't want to teach and it saves a lot of time in class to expound on more important matters. I actually bought 10 DVD's to lend out. It is worth it.
Bottom line is that, I think, the newbie needs a broad overview of what to expect in scuba and the courses give that.
Neil

neil once bubbled...

Another way of finding time in PADI courses is to have students watch the required videos at home. They pick up a lot of the small junk you don't want to teach and it saves a lot of time in class to expound on more important matters.

As far as I know that's the general rule nowadays.

I'm doing standards right now hopefully IE in mid-June, they very heavily insist on doing video and knowledge review as an INDEPENDENT STUDY, you just need to check the answers and collect the papers, plus obviously going over whatever was misunderstood, but only that, not the whole bunch of slides.

That certainly gives more time not only to develop unclear points, but eventually for pool practice as well.

I suppose the situation in tropical resorts might be different, but that's basically what I see around here.

Thats another thing, my IDC was crap!! A marketing class rather then an instructor class.

It just seems that ever since I got into the "profesional" side of scuba, I have run into bad experience after bad experience. I hope it isn't the lay of the land. I just want to teach interested dedicated people who want to see the underwater world, not fly by night, "lets get the cheapest course available" types.

But I guess NAUI, SSI and all others still pull in the above stated people.

You know Faye,

coming for a very bad (and I'm being extremely kind) DM course, I was surprised at what serious, decent and altogether funny people can do.

We are working hard, and though the business side of PADI is never too far I feel the IDC Staff who's finishing my AI and the Course Director who's showing up more and more in view of IDC starting probably right after Easter are doing a very good job indeed.

I'm glad I decided to do this over five months rather than taking the ten days' highway on some tropical island as I had first thought.

From what I've been told not only from the two official instructors, but also from other OWSI's in the club (quite a few of them, actually, it's the first time I see so many in one place) if you do a decent job in AI IDC should be no worry.

I'm starting to feel they must be right.

Back
Top Bottom