Instructor - Why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TorontoDive:
Can current instructors ballpark what "a ton of money" is? (excluding insurance)

It costs a couple of grand to become an instructor and at the end of it you'll be doing very *very* well if you make minimum wage at it once you're certified

I'm curious as to why they (the agency) would want to deter people with a high price tag to instruct.

I don't know where you got that from. I don't think the agencies care at all how much you make as an instructor. Agencies don't pay the instructors, the people taking classes do and in today's market people want high quality instruction, they want it NOW and they want it for as close to free as they can find it.

R..

I would think that being an instructor would be more rewarding in an area where there isn't great diving in the first place. If your options are to go to the quarry for the 100th time or go there and teach the latter becomes an easier choice.

In areas like Calif. or here in Seattle most instructors I run into must be doing it because they enjoy the teaching aspect more than the diving aspect of it. Most instructors (not all) have very little experience outside of the "teaching" dive sites.

If you teach I don't think you will be doing a lot of diving outside of class.

You mentioned wanting to master scuba diving. While I'm not an instructor I don't believe becoming a professional is going to necessarily make you a better diver. For example, there is the way a very experienced diver clears a mask (with as little air and as quickly as possible) and then there is the way an instructor clears a mask (so called demonstration quality). They have two separate goals, the experienced divers goal is to get water out, the instructors goal is to show someone else how to get water out.

The best class I've found for improving my diving has been cavern where 80% of the class is spent working on improving your trim and techniques for not kicking up the bottom. Just be careful when you take it and don't get bit by the cave bug or your instructor fees are going to seem like nothing compared to what you will end up dropping on cave gear.

loosebits:
For example, there is the way a very experienced diver clears a mask (with as little air and as quickly as possible) and then there is the way an instructor clears a mask (so called demonstration quality).

Really? You believe that being able to clear a mask with little air and quickly makes you a better diver?
I do both, but don't regard that as being a prerequisite for being considered a better diver. Matter of fact, nothing in diving should be done "quickly". Defeats the purpose of STOP-THINK-REACT. Quickly to me insinuates a straight line to panic. BTW...I have been in hairy situations with experienced divers and some observers have noted the textbook pace of assisting a diver in an OOA emergency.
Lastly, I prefer students that take more then one breath to clear a mask. It shows me that they won't panic if their mask continues to leak and in turn bolt. Those that get through an exercise quickly really don't show me that they are thinking the exercise through. Instead, they are the ones that I worry about if they do run into a problem e.g. clearing a mask that keeps leaking.

I agree with mars2u. If I have a student clear his/her mask the first time I usually come back to them at some other point and have them do it again. Was it luck the first time or skill. I want a student to leave me confident in their skills.

As far as becoming an instructor, I did it for my love of diving. I also wanted to introduce people to a sport that they can enjoy for many many years. I can honestly say I haven't got rich teaching but I have made some good Extra money and a lot of good friends. I'm in my 4th year teaching and each year it allows me to take 3 one week trips. I usually take 12-16 customers with me. I really enjoy the trips and the good company. Obviously, class is not like going out joy diving but it is still fun.

The Dive Bum

well an old guy told me divers, dive and instructors, teach. that pretty much says it all. but for the love of god watch out for the cave bug. it got me and I just made a wire transfer for 8 grand because of this.

oh yeah I am writing this while a student is taking a test.

loosebits made a valid comparison between the way an experienced diver might clear a mask during the course of a dive & the way an instructor might clear his mask during a demonstration of mask clearing. If the original posters intent & desire is to truly master diving, than loosebit's point is well made, in that there is much that might be learned outside of an IDC, that might not be learned in such a course.

Can a AI put his two cents in?
I love to haul tanks and gear every Sunday morning, I love to hang up wet gear at 11:30 pm on Wed. night. I love to keep track of students on the tour section of the open water check out when thier, on the surface/on the bottom...... I love having my gear trashed during a resuce class. I love when I have to tow a student back because they talk themselfs out of doing the dive at the decent line.I love driving 3 1/2 hours on a friday night (after working a real job) to get ready for a weekend of open water. I love all the money I make, or is it loose doing this......

But really, the joy of seeing a student do the open water dives and become a diver, working with a student that has a problem with a skill then seeing them get it is, as they say pricless. I'm glad I do it and would not trade one minute of it away.......

I did it for several reasons. To get rich! LOL, becouse I like to teach, I go to classes as a hobbie, and I figure I can take a couple of month long "paid" vacation running a boat or teaching in between jobs messing with bombs. Id never try to make a real living at it though.

scubafool:
loosebits made a valid comparison between the way an experienced diver might clear a mask during the course of a dive & the way an instructor might clear his mask during a demonstration of mask clearing. If the original posters intent & desire is to truly master diving, than loosebit's point is well made, in that there is much that might be learned outside of an IDC, that might not be learned in such a course.

Just curious...have you ever taken the IDC?

Back
Top Bottom