Instructor - Why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK...I decided to edit my post to loosebit because honestly...this is getting silly and my intent wasn't to rile him up. He's entitled to his opinion albeit I don't agree.
My analogy would have been using an example of "trim and buoyancy" showing me an experienced diver rather then clearing a mask using the example he implied. My response to loosebit was due to the fact that I never heard that someone could be considered an experienced diver due to how he described them clearing their mask.
For the newbies reading this...I've dived with countless numbers of expereinced divers and I never thought to myself...that person isn't experienced or is less experienced because they had to clear their mask more then once. Honestly, I never heard of that assessment either from other diver/dm's/instructors. However, I have heard and helped those divers that have had "trim and buoyancy" problems. I'm sure we've seen divers diving with waaaaaay too much weight. Regardless...everyones entitled to their own opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Here was my earlier post that loosbit might have missed yet we agree upon.

mars2u:
Good advice. The thing about becoming an Instructor is that people think that they teach you alot of diving in the IDC. That's absolutely wrong. The IDC (at least for PADI) is to teach you "how to teach". You spend ALOT of time presenting in front of the IDC class and underwater.
The Course Director leading the class specifically told us..."you folks are already proficient divers...and if not then you shouldn't be here". They (Course Directors) are there to ensure you follow/learn the Standards and Guidelines. Those that claim that you don't learn much during the IDC are correct to a degree...you don't learn much in regards to diving...you learn alot in regards to teaching. You should have learned and honed your skills way before taking the IDC. That's what being a DM and fun diver are all about...honing your skills to prepare you to be an efficient Instructor.

I became an instructor to switch careers - I was teaching college and doing defense work. I also became a licensed captain so work was never hard to find. I didn't become an instructor to teach but to run dive tours and do intro dives. I didn't learn any dive skills - by the time you're ready to become an instructor, your diving skills should be refined to the point of smooth excellence. I had already been diving for 27 years when I did my NAUI instructor course in 1988 and done a lot of teaching in the military and college so the course was just a credentialing formality.

mars2u:
I guess that answers my previous question in regards to whether you can make an educated opinion from an Instructor standpoint. No, it's not 50.
The post was for Divemaster, not Instructor. In which case the number's accurate for some PADI programs.

Ok, so I think everyone agrees that before becoming an instructor (or even entering the IDC) one should be an experienced diver, but one should also have an ability and definite interest for teaching... and good interpersonal skills... and patience. Sure, the IDC will train you on how/what to teach, but it's still not a given that a diver with even thousands of dives will make a good instructor.

archman:
The post was for Divemaster, not Instructor. In which case the number's accurate for some PADI programs.

I went back and checked my Instructor manual to ensure that I wasn't wrong.
I was correct in my statement...it's not 50 dives to get certified as a Divemaster. To qualify to begin the Divemaster course it's 20 dives. To get certified as a Divemaster you have to "show proof of 60 logged dives documenting experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation".

Look...we're getting off topic anyway. Archman, I appreciate the input...it did make me go back to ensure that the Course Pre-requisites and Course Requirements didn't change.

I don't think loosebits was refering exactly to a mask clearing drill to determine exprienced good diver versus a bad one, I think it was an example that got blown out of control.

I believe what he was getting at is you can be a REALLY good diver but a bad teacher, and just because you teach well doesn't mean your a really good diver, they are two different skills. I think THAT is the main point, good teaching and good diving, two different skills.

Congrats Mars2U, sounds like you just got your 200th dive.

Well, I became an instructor because I had hoped that one day I would end up on a message board listening to two guys arguing about the finer points of ...well...being an instructor.:D

loosebits:
Congrats Mars2U, sounds like you just got your 200th dive.

Thanks...I appreciate you taking the time to actually congratulate me on it. Actually it's really been a while... I got an e-mail from a buddy of mine that said my webpage link was bad on my profile. Funny thing is that the webpage hasn't been up for 8 months. Shows you how often I update my profile :D

freediver:
Well, I became an instructor because I had hoped that one day I would end up on a message board listening to two guys arguing about the finer points of ...well...being an instructor.:D

Oh do a search...this isn't anything CLOSE to arguing. There have been many a flame that I've watched from the outside looking in that would make a sailor blush. Even worse, I remember the days of rec.scuba before scubaboard.

Back
Top Bottom