Instructors wearing drysuits while students wear wetsuits

Should OW Instructors wear drysuits if students are in wetsuits?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just an OW diver but I believe that if water temperatures are below 20C both instructor and students should be wearing drysuits. (7mm would be a compromise).

My rationale is very simple: diving should be fun for both students and instructor.

Being cold is not fun - the added stress induced by cold water is a safety concern and I don't think a student can learn that well when all they want to do is get in and out as quickly as possible and get the dives over with.

I also think that instructors in cold water locations should be actively encouraging their students to dive in local waters - it can be fun for the student and good for an instructor's income if they are not losing their students to instructors in warmer climates. If the experience for the student is a miserable one due to climate then surely investment in some drysuits is not a bad idea for larger shops.

I appreciate it might not be practical for some independent instructors to own drysuits because of the cost and having to cater for a multitude of fits but I don't think training in anything less than 7mil in cold water is a good idea either so either get 7mm/drysuits or reschedule the trainng.

I've dived in 20C with a one-piece 5mm wetsuit and a hood. I was very much comfortable for two 50--60 minute dives with an hour and a bit surface interval in between. Which illustrates the point others have made: the instructor's not going to feel what their students feel anyway, because everyone's resistance to cold is a bit different. From a student's perspective, I can't see why an instructor shouldn't wear a drysuit if they're either particularly prone to getting cold or they're in the water longer than their students.

But do you get a "Drysuit Card" included with open water? My gal didn't get a drysuit card, but we didn't ask for one either. She doesn't really need one as she owns her own drysuit.

When our students choose to do their OW in a dry suit, they do the full Dry Suit Specialty course in conjunction with their OW class. They finish with their OW Certification as well as their Dry Suit Specialty Certification. I am assuming we are talking PADI.

It really is pretty simple. After students have completed the class and confined water sessions, sometime before their four Open Water dives they come in for the dry suit class and pool session.

When they do their OW dives they do the skills required in Dry Suit Dive 1 during the appropriate OW dive. There are some differences to the skills, but they are the same "skill". For example, for the neutral buoyancy "skill" in OW Dive 2, the dry suit student will do it for one minute; for the hover in OW Dive 4, the dry student will do it for one minute. For scuba unit remove and replace at the surface the only difference is the additional step of disconnecting/reconnecting the dry suit inflator hose in order to remove/replace the scuba unit, but it is the same skill.

At the end of the four OW dives, they are certified OW divers. The student then goes back in the water for a "fifth" dive and completes the requirement of Dry Suit Dive 2 and thus earn their Dry Suit Specialty certification.

This is a very common practice, is nothing new, and is done within Standards and the full blessing of PADI. Most of the divers who have received their Open Water certification from me have also received the Dry Suit Specialty.

Bill

Thanks for your input; just curious, wha't a 'plank' instructor? Thanks!

I had my OW dives in 50F water, I was wearing a 7 mil suit with gloves and a hood, some instructors had wetsuits and some had drysuits. It didn't bother me at all.

Thanks for your input; just curious, wha't a 'plank' instructor? Thanks!

A plank is a slang term for an idiot. Often somebody can be described as 'thick as a plank'. I guess it isn't used as commonly in the States?

A plank is a slang term for an idiot. Often somebody can be described as 'thick as a plank'. I guess it isn't used as commonly in the States?

Nope.

Another case of "same language, but with different words for everything."

We do exactly what Hawkwood describes.

It's worth the extra dive to get the card (and we don't charge extra for it, above what the student has already paid for the materials and the dry suit rental). I've told the story before, but when I ripped a neck seal in Los Angeles, we could not rent me a dry suit, since I had been certified in one and never done the class or gotten the card. But the shop would cheerfully rent Peter, who had a card, a women's small dry suit . . .

This is a very common practice, is nothing new, and is done within Standards and the full blessing of PADI. Most of the divers who have received their Open Water certification from me have also received the Dry Suit Specialty.

Bill

This is how we do it in NJ.

It makes me wonder about some of those Eastern European divers doing wetsuit dives in icy lakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom