Instructors...What do you expect from your Divemasters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even in local areas where DM's have nothing to do with boat handling, anchoring etc. they still are responsible for diving. Diving, in many instances require rigged lines. Knots and lines are part of the job and should be part of every agency's requirements for DM's.

WWW™

Going beyond all the agency debate, and DM requisites.

Walter suggests that being able to do basic ropework is essential for a DM. In many ways, things like this should be encouraged in all divers. I learned in a club where we had a PADI intructor who did everything for the enjoyment of it, and no money was made at any point (except by PADI obviously). We ran two boats (5.5m RIB's) these comfortably took 6 divers + a cox. From the very first dive I did in the sea I had to get involved in boat activities. Jobs like launching the RIB's from their trailers are much simpler when there are 6 or 7 people there all helping. Also, when we took the boats out there was plenty of other things to do, as walter points out, often involving rope.

In the club we had some very consciencious instructors and divemasters, and all the divers from the start got to do these things, even if it was with a DM patiently taking them through it. Did it make us better divers? probably not, but when we went on to do other courses such as the DM course, there was a much broader base of experience. Having had to help out on the club boat is different from having everything done for you by a DM, but so far it hasn't put anybody off diving because they have had to help.

(It also is a good way to lead into the Boat diver specialty dive as the first AOW dive, do the last two O/W dives, and then, after knowledge reviews, get the boat dive done before the end of the day)

This is just a different approach to diving. It is much less you being a 'dive consumer', but more of a lifestyle 'diver'. Also, with a good guide to where the sites are located you can get a weeks diving for less than £50 per person (we have collected some 5 - 600 different UK sites, and we now have GPS co-ords for the more recently visited ones, and transits and good diagrams for the rest) (excluding initial cost of boat - sports council grant, and maintenance - mostly paid through club subscription).

Different approach to diving? perhaps, but certainly enjoyable, as you get to see and experience other related parts of diving that mebe you wouldn't otherwise.

Jon T

..........an experience like that couldn't help but make you and everyone else a better diver. Sounds like you were part of an excellent program. We should all emulate that PADI instructor.

WWW™

Walter,

This is one of the things putting me off at the moment from doing an IDC. Having had such a good instructor, The way I would like to work, would be based on the way I learned, however, I don't have the time to put in the level of commitment that he did, and I would expect of myself.

For the moment I will have to make do with DMing for him as and when I can get the time, as I am currently career building with my day job.

such is life

Jon T

Peeps,

Check this out ... Dr. Jose Jones, Founder of NABS - National Association of Black Scuba Divers, has certified over 3,000 divers and has never charged a penny for his services. If you ask me, this is the kind of person that deserves some serious recognition for their contributions to the Industry.

Other such individuals would be Walt Deas or Frank Galloway or Roger Bruce or Rupert Giles ... etc ...

Some of the Scuba Diving original founding members, all the ones that sadly enough many divers have never even heard about, but without them diving wouldn't be what it is today!

Now, some of you may say, "WHAT?!?! You didn't mention 'so-n-so' or ...", well, you're right I didn't. First of all, that list could go on and on... and secondly, so many people are lead to believe that many "self-promoted" people are the ones we owe our thanks too. Personally I am not big on the attention hungry or "media mongers". I want to know who did the "real work", the ones that got their hands dirty and really "explored" or "experimented" and brought us to where we are at today.

For example, how many of you work in a job where you are not the BIG CHEESE, but if you quit today would put a serious hurt on the company? How many "Big Wigs" would be worth their weight in worm snot if you took away their assistants or secretaries? There are many people that risked their lives and/or countless hours developing what we take for granted everytime we go diving.

Just another something to ... "Make you go Hmmmm" ...

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom