Instructors who carry multiple agencies certifications ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All this makes sense but I was told by a PADI shop that they do not recognize SSI instructors until the SSI instructor re-takes the PADI DM, assistant instructor and Instructor courses. These courses alone run close to 2-3 grand. Is this only an issue with PADI? If a PSAI instructor wants to be able to give out NAUI or SDI C-cards, do they have to retake the NAUI courses or would their PSAI certification be transferable to other agencies?

All this makes sense but I was told by a PADI shop that they do not recognize SSI instructors until the SSI instructor re-takes the PADI DM, assistant instructor and Instructor courses. These courses alone run close to 2-3 grand. Is this only an issue with PADI? If a PSAI instructor wants to be able to give out NAUI or SDI C-cards, do they have to retake the NAUI courses or would their PSAI certification be transferable to other agencies?

I believe most (all?) agencies require an instructor to "cross-over" if they want to teach for another agency. They won't just give you credit for "time served." But that does not necessarilly mean they need to take - or pay for - the entire course. The official cross-over involves jumping right to the instructor course (skipping AI step) so that saves time/money. But if you're a sharp NAUI instructor you should be able to pass the PADI IE without much trouble - or instruction - and vice-versa. There are dive-pro training mills (and shops) that will charge as much for crossing over as taking the whole OWSI section of the course. And if an individual wants to do cross-over "on their own" they'll need to pony up. However, I know folks who were recruited by a shop that wanted them and only charged them the pass-through costs (fees, materials, etc) instead of actually charging the instructor for the course itself.

Similarly, I know of people who took multiple instructor courses at the same time, and were only charged once for the "instruction" and simply had to pay for the incremental fees, materials, etc from the second agency. (Just like I could have also gotten an NSS-CDS card when I took my NACD course for just the cost of processing the NSS-CDS card and passing that exam, since I had fulfilled all the qualifications for both courses. )

All this makes sense but I was told by a PADI shop that they do not recognize SSI instructors until the SSI instructor re-takes the PADI DM, assistant instructor and Instructor courses. These courses alone run close to 2-3 grand. Is this only an issue with PADI?

at one time I had multiple certs as an instr for NASDS-SSI-PADI. Going from NASDS to SSI was way easy back in the day (late 70's early 80's) took all of 1 evening...PADI was easier in the early 70's..send in proof of instr cert from recognized agency with $25. here's your card..Now process is much more professional, as it should be! For an instr to crossover to PADI he/she must complete OWSI part of IDC and pass IE. I would strongly suggest anyone doing a crossover to attend Asst Instr part of IDC, as a IDC staff instructor. I would even offer it at no charge as a nod to professional courtesy. Reason for not "recognizing" other agency credentials is that there are different standards/procedures to follow. Not just an issue with PADI.

If a PSAI instructor wants to be able to give out NAUI or SDI C-cards, do they have to retake the NAUI courses or would their PSAI certification be transferable to other agencies?

I am not a NAUI instr, never taught for a NAUI facility. I would think crossover is same as PADI process.

I teach PADI, NAUI and dropped SDI. I looked into SSI but decided against it. My reasons are pure and simple, most of my students are going away to do their open water dives and it is easier to find a PADI shop over any other agency. I do try to get ppl interested in Master Diver to do the NAUI course as I see it as more of a "course" than PADI Master Diver which is a recognition of 5 specialties and rescue ( not that there is anything wrong with being recognized for your work). SDI just not enough interest or difference in the actual material. As to having to do the "PADI" course in lock step you only have to present the material in a certain order. How you explain and the embellishments that you offer bring out the best in your students.

What is the reasoning behind this particular distribution?

PADI for OW because most new people have only heard of PADI. For people that take referrals down south with them, there are more PADI shops than any of the others. TDI provides a better basic nitrox course than PADI and SDI, and then the student can continue on with TDI tech courses. She also prefers the TDI technical courses. She can certify both SDI & TDI instructors but with PADI, you have to go through a course director. She doesn't teach NAUI any more.

As an Instructor Trainer for several training agencies and a Dive Shop Owner, it becomes a catch 22 when promoting course. The class (training agencies) that I prefer to teach and the class the student request sometimes clashes. From a business stand point, making a dollar and training efficiently becomes an issue of ethics. Not saying that certain training agencies lack in training although they do to some extent, it is still a recreational market and you have to give the customer what he/she wants or lose a sale. Just my 2 cents worth. Now with that being said, most training agencies method of delivery is different but the information giving is the same. As long as standards for the training agency is followed, I would say most instructors have their own methods of teaching. Once again, I am just a layed back country boy who loves to dive, sometimes I pick simplicity over rational thought of making more money from the customer. Maybe that is why I stay so broke!!!!!!!

The guy who on my local(est) dive shop (which is pretty far away anyways) has multiple instructor credentials.
Atleast PADI, BSAC, SDI and TDI that Ive seen his cards for lying around the shop :p

I believe most (all?) agencies require an instructor to "cross-over" if they want to teach for another agency. They won't just give you credit for "time served."

There are agencies that do not require cross-overs. I crossed over to PSAI several years ago and all I had to do was send them copies of my PADI instructor cards. I didn't even have to sit through any "this is PSAI and how and why we do things the way we do" presentation. I ended up not renewing for a few reasons, that being one of the reasons.

Every other agency I am current with has required some type of crossover. One of the reasons I teach for multiple agencies is because some have courses that are more marketable than others and each one has instructor listings on their websites. That's inexpensive advertising. The only agency that I don't make my money back on is PADI but for some reason I hold onto that rating.

Reactions: RJP
... Do you try to sell one C-card over the other? Just curious. Thanks.

Many of us -- in particular instructors and ITs who specialize in technical programs -- do not sell C-cards at all. Students earn them.

On the conflict thing. There is a potential conflict. I teach mostly for TDI because I've been with the agency since it started in the mid-1990s. There are specific programs I like from other agencies that TDI does not package in the same way, so I teach them rather than a TDI equivalent.

Also understand that TDI, NSS-CDS, NACD, IANTD et al were formed to teach programs that PADI and the like refused to consider... at that time. Things changed when the naysayers saw how popular tech was becoming. Also consider that while someone teaching programs from SDI, TDI and ERDI may appear to be teaching for three agencies, in fact is teaching for one... International Training.

There are agencies that do not require cross-overs. I crossed over to PSAI several years ago and all I had to do was send them copies of my PADI instructor cards. I didn't even have to sit through any "this is PSAI and how and why we do things the way we do" presentation. I ended up not renewing for a few reasons, that being one of the reasons.

Care to explain the last sentence? You chose NOT to renew PSAI because you preferred to do a cross over where you were told why PSAI did things differently?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom