Insurance question PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI dive insurance is assoc. with AssitAmerica which will guarantee payment for at least your admission and emergency treatment. I also don't like the fact that you are forced to become a DAN member just to get their insurance. The July 2004 issue of Scubadiving has an article on dive insurance. There is a chart that lays out all the costs and the coverage you get for 5 different companies.

One other thing you might consider is whether coverage means filing a claim (i.e. you pay first then file a claim to get reimbursed) or whether the facility will deal with the insurance company directly. We ran into an incident a couple of years ago in Cozumel where we had a diver go to the local chamber. However, they had to pre-pay via credit card (approx $6,000 USD) before they would peform treatment. Had it been DAN insurance, they would have done the treatment right away.

Better check if any US based insurance company will cover you in Cuba. I went in November and asked DAN the same question. They said no way.

skeet:
Sounds like DAN needs to change how that rule is presented or stated, seems to be a common point of misunderstanding.

It's more accurate to state that most people either
a) can't read properly
b) don't understand what they read
c) don't continue reading until they have reached the end of the text
d) all of the above

StSomewhere:
The two are legally separate entities. Affiliated, but separate.

DAN subscribes to a mutual insurancy policy in which members can participate. No part of DAN is an insurance company or an insurance broker.

ScubaRik:
Better check if any US based insurance company will cover you in Cuba. I went in November and asked DAN the same question. They said no way.

Ain't got that problem with DAN Europe.

I went to CUBA and DAN is no GOOD they will not cover in cuba I Called DAN and spoke with a rep and when almost everything was finallized I ask if it was Good in CUBA and they told me that NO IT WAS NOT GOOD THERE. So to make it short call them and ask them.

StSomewhere:
The two are legally separate entities. Affiliated, but separate.

BTW, Welcome to SB!
Thanks. Glad to be here.

As for the separate entities: That may be true, I have no idea, but someone said that they were upset that you have to join DAN to get insurance. I like belonging to DAN just like I like belonging to my local aquarium (Nat'l Aquarium in Baltimore). They both provide me with information that I need/want while diving.

Oh well, it makes sense to me anyway. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else :D

Chris

Ontwreckdiver:
PADI dive insurance is assoc. with AssitAmerica which will guarantee payment for at least your admission and emergency treatment. I also don't like the fact that you are forced to become a DAN member just to get their insurance.

PADI doesn't require that you become a member to get their insurance, but they charge you an extra $20 if you are not a PADI member. DAN's preferred plan (their highest level of coverage) costs $70 plus $29 membership. PADI's highest level of coverage costs $99 if you are not a PADI member.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom