Insurance question PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatCat:
It's more accurate to state that most people either
a) can't read properly
b) don't understand what they read
c) don't continue reading until they have reached the end of the text
d) all of the above

DAN subscribes to a mutual insurancy policy in which members can participate. No part of DAN is an insurance company or an insurance broker.

Ain't got that problem with DAN Europe.
Even if "A,B,C,D" are accurate its still accurate to say there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and a buisiness trying to sell or promote a product will evaluate and make adjustments.

Hoyden:
PADI doesn't require that you become a member to get their insurance, but they charge you an extra $20 if you are not a PADI member. DAN's preferred plan (their highest level of coverage) costs $70 plus $29 membership. PADI's highest level of coverage costs $99 if you are not a PADI member.

Jackie

This is incorrect, if you opt for the top plan with PADI, and if you are a PADI member, they will give you a $20 discount on that plan. This only applies to that plan, there is no change in cost for the other two plans if you are/are not a PADI member.

The info printed in Rodale's about these two providers (V and B for PADI and whoever DAN uses) is incorrect also. Here are the links to the two plans:

PADI
http://www.diveinsurance.com/dp/DP-index.htm
(Then hit the Coverage Details Link)

DAN
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

There are a few differences between the $99 DAN plan and the $70 PADI plan. The DAN plan offers a max liability of $250,000 p/incident and the PADI $70 plan offers $100,000 p/incident. The PADI plan has no air evacuation distance restriction like the DAN plan does (cost or distance). With the PADI plan if you are beyond 100 miles from home you are transported via Assist America, if you are within 100 miles you are covered through V and B. With DAN you are on your own if within 50 miles of home.

In my opinion/research $100,000 is more than enough for each incident and most of my diving is within 50 miles from home (i.e. I want the air evacuation option) so the $70 PADI is the better value.

--Matt

matt_unique:
With DAN you are on your own if within 50 miles of home.

ok, please point me to where in the plan it says this... i just can't find it.

H2Andy:
ok, please point me to where in the plan it says this... i just can't find it.

This is the link describing there Travel Assist benefit:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.asp

Here is the relevant text from this page:

>>If you travel at least 50 miles/80 km from your permanent residence, TravelAssist is there to help 24 hours a day. DAN TravelAssist, through MedAire, Inc., arranges emergency medical evacuations for any medical emergency - and provides many more benefits - for you and your immediate family members. <<

--Matt

yes, those are travel-related.

in other words, they will evacuate you or a family member by air due to any
medical emergency IF you are at least 50 miles from home.

what i mean is, where does it say that they won't pay for a helicopter lift from
a dive accident to a hospital if less than 50 miles from home?

that, by the way, is part of the DAN membership benefits. you don't have to
purchase the DAN insurance to receive it.

the DAN insurance is different. that provides for coverage for a diving
accident. I don't see anywhere that the coverage for a diving accident
is limited to over 50 miles from home.

check out page 25-26 of the insurance guide:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

3. Ambulance charges for transportation by a professional air, ground,
or marine ambulance to the nearest hospital or hyperbaric chamber where
appropriate care or treatment can be given.

and it doesn't give a minimum distance.

it does make two provisions:

a. Doesn't cover charges covered by the Travel-Plan (the one with the
50 mile minimum); and

b. Transportation by air or sea ambulance has to be pre-arranged
by DAN Travel Assist.

skeet:
Even if "A,B,C,D" are accurate its still accurate to say there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and a buisiness trying to sell or promote a product will evaluate and make adjustments.

Sorry skeet, but this is a case in point.

DAN is not a business and isn't trying to sell anything. It OFFERS a SERVICE to its MEMBERS.

Quite a difference.

FatCat:
Ain't got that problem with DAN Europe.
DAN Europe offers MUCH better insurance policies than DAN in the US/Carribbean. At more cost of course, but much more comprehensive coverage is available. EU residency is required to get a policy from DAN Europe, IIRC.

Remember that US companies are forbidden by federal law from having business deals with or in Cuba, with a very few specific exceptions. DAN/DAN insurance has no choice in this matter.

I'm still trying to find a dive insurance policy for US/Carribbean/Mexican/Central American dive destinations that will pay a hyperbaric facility as the primary provider (i.e. doesn't require you to obtain a $50,000 credit line before the facility will treat you). From what I've found, one doesn't exist.

StSomewhere:
I'm still trying to find a dive insurance policy for US/Carribbean/Mexican/Central American dive destinations that will pay a hyperbaric facility as the primary provider (i.e. doesn't require you to obtain a $50,000 credit line before the facility will treat you). From what I've found, one doesn't exist.

Why not book a diving holiday on the ABC islands or the French Antilles?

You can subscribe to a temporary DAN Europe membership for the duration of your holiday. It's EU territory over there...

H2Andy:
yes, those are travel-related.

in other words, they will evacuate you or a family member by air due to any
medical emergency IF you are at least 50 miles from home.

what i mean is, where does it say that they won't pay for a helicopter lift from
a dive accident to a hospital if less than 50 miles from home?

that, by the way, is part of the DAN membership benefits. you don't have to
purchase the DAN insurance to receive it.

the DAN insurance is different. that provides for coverage for a diving
accident. I don't see anywhere that the coverage for a diving accident
is limited to over 50 miles from home.

check out page 25-26 of the insurance guide:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

3. Ambulance charges for transportation by a professional air, ground,
or marine ambulance to the nearest hospital or hyperbaric chamber where
appropriate care or treatment can be given.

and it doesn't give a minimum distance.

it does make two provisions:

a. Doesn't cover charges covered by the Travel-Plan (the one with the
50 mile minimum); and

b. Transportation by air or sea ambulance has to be pre-arranged
by DAN Travel Assist.

I don't have a copy of a DAN policy. I chose PADI based on the information available which included the DAN reference to distance limitations. The PADI website specifically identifies 'no limitation' based on distance or cost for evac. I did not pursue it beyond that. DAN should post the information if there is no distance limit for evac. The link you provided appears to say there is no distance limit. The only direct reference to distance is their mention of the 50 mile limitation - this would concern me.

The other reason for my choice in PADI mentioned above was the coverage vs. cost. You need to pay $99 to DAN to get the same coverage as the PADI $70 plan. I mentioned the $250K p/incident limit with the $99 DAN plan vs. the $100K p/incident limit with the PADI $70 plan. Based on this information I found PADI to be the best plan.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom