Insurance with Orbitz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmtndiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone or (Dandy Don) use the insurance that Orbitz offers? Would like to do a trip in September but worried about the weather

Thanks

Anyone or (Dandy Don)...
:confused: What, am I the one to ask if no one else answers? Oh hell, I'll post anyway...

I don't know a thing about Orbitz insurance; generally, airlines and booking agencies offer the worst coverage for the money I think. You can compare general benefits and costs of all known trip insurance companies at InsureMyTrip.com | Quote | Help but reading their fine print for benefits and exclusions is still needed. I use TravelSafe.com on any international trip for the medical coverage, airline luggage limits & exclusions and other property losses, trip interruption or cancellation, etc.

I would not suggest worrying about September weather tho; it's just not that common of a problem, or I wouldn't be leaving this Saturday like I always do for my birthday. Now the one time I bet against the National Hurricane Center and still went even after NHC projected a direct hit form a Cat-5 was dumb but that's just so rare. I'd much more likely go in the midst of hurricane season than in the winter when blow outs are much more common with strong northers/nortes and/or US travel and connections are more risky - except I still make winter trips.

I've been thru some weather travel adventures, airport closures, blow outs, etc in all seasons tho. all over - really bad ones, but it's just part of the adventure. I carry a hooded coat on trips from Labor Day to Memorial Day or anytime I got to the Pacific (imagine shopping for a jacket in southern Calf on July 4, but that sea breeze was cold!) and wore it on island in Roatan one day last winter. I've always been a mission oriented traveler. I sit in downtown Ft.Worth one night drinking beer and watching my rental car demolished by a spring hail storm, along with much of Ft.Worth and mid cities and all planes at DFW but just peered thru the cracks until I could drive back to the airport the next day to exchange my worthless car for one brought in by the agencies from elsewhere. Hehe, I have many more stories but I'm rambling, which is probly why you said "or Don"...

For weather forecasts I prefer Tropical Weather : Weather Underground over the NHC now, but the general odds are certainly in your favor. If you ever have to obtain changes or escapes from an airline, don't call the local numbers - use Skype.com or a cheap cell service plans to call the US reservations that don't close at night or get overwhelmed in local problems, and use the magic request word "accommodate" in looking for cheap changes.

Have a great trip. :pilot:

I'm with Fin .... have never used Orbitz Insurance, but when I do purchase travel insurance for specific trips I always used Travel Guard. With an independent company (like TG) you can insure what expenses you want covered and set the dates you want. Often if buying the insurance as part of a travel reservation you're only covering what you buy from them - like the air & hotel, or a cruise. Best thing is to always read the small print no matter who you use.

Thanks for all the info. Trying to get an opinion on who takes the insurance and who shops else where.

Don thanks for your response and Orbitz info. When you state hotel prices per night in a package how do you calculate what the airfare portion works out to be.

Have a good trip with Scuba Mau they are great. 4 divers in May with S/M For 7 days of diving and they hit a home run with customer service with all of us.

Thanks

Wow!!! Dandy Don as our "go to" expert. We are doomed as a society!

:D

DD...when are your Coz tour dates? Never see you there anymore in January!!

John

I am no expert, except that I was born and raised on the Gulf Coast and still live here, but September is the peak of hurricane season and I would not travel to the Caribbean without insurance. That being said, the chances are small that your vacation destination would be affected and it isn't worth not going over. Travelsafe as Don mentioned or Travel Guard are pretty good options. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Wow!!! Dandy Don as our "go to" expert. We are doomed as a society!
Really! Well, I try to give good suggestions with regard to safety or saving money, then respect whatever others chose
DD...when are your Coz tour dates? Never see you there anymore in January!!
Nah, too leery of northers now, more comfortable in hurricane season. Jer & I are here now; see...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/348892-so-what-do-i-want-coz-dive-trip.html and
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...22-tuesday-aug-24-interested.html#post5431371
Thanks for all the info. Trying to get an opinion on who takes the insurance and who shops else where.

Don thanks for your response and Orbitz info. When you state hotel prices per night in a package how do you calculate what the airfare portion works out to be.
For my views and suggestions, I look at lowest reasonable air fares for selected or hypothetical dates first, then compare to & subtract from Orbitz package prices, then dividing the difference by the number of nights to get room-night costs including taxes on the packages. The quotes are normally per traveler, assuming double occupancy on the hotel rooms, so it gets a little tricky - you have to double the difference between air and package for two before dividing, unless you're looking at solo travelers or private rooms. Right now I am in a huge, marbled tiled, private 3 star room for $27/night. See...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/348892-so-what-do-i-want-coz-dive-trip.html and
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...tz-200-package-discount.html?highlight=orbitz

Gawd I am glad we got separate rooms. I can hear my bud snoring next door with the connector open. Just have to close it when I turn in. He hates my staying up to post & surf, and he's been known to wake me for my snoring at times too.

Sidestep.com/Kayak.com can be handy for shopping all other sites, with one tab open on Flights, the other on Vacations. Hope that helps...

Booked the trip and decided to go with Travel Safe instead of Access. Compared and found Travel Safe to offer less restrictions and same coverage for about the same price.

Went with Orbitz and Hotel Coz. and Scuba Mau again. They pick up at H/C pier even for 1 diver. For the solo traveler you cant beat the 200 entertain code In May 4 of us booked with Orbitz and all went with our own rooms:D

Thanks for all the help,
Mmtndiver

Back
Top Bottom