Insuring dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbacarella

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the rest of you I've invested a lot of resources in my dive gear (time, energy, money, etc.). On the way back from the keys this weekend (c/o awesome folks at Rainbow Reef Dive Center!), I was struck by an uneasy feeling as I handed my dive gear bag over to a shifty looking airport thrower. There was a real possibility I'd never see my gear again.

How do you guys rest knowing your dive gear sits at home unguarded while you're at work, that minimum wage conveyer monkeys are poking through your stuff at the airport, and that crack addicted hotel room cleaners see your fins hanging from the showerhead?

Here's what helps set my mind at ease, sometimes
* Renter's insurance (on my apartment)
* Limited airline/TSA liability
* Limited trip insurance by way of my American Express Gold
* Large tips for hotel cleaning staff on the first day and every day thereafter and other drug offerings
* Looking as mean as possible

That said, it would still be devastating if my bag disappeared. My lost logbook holder with stamps, signatures, phone numbers, reference cards and manuals and memories; my perfectly tuned reg/BC/accessory setup, my nicely broken in wet suits and gloves, all gone. I'd probably *still* have to fork out some megabucks because of insurance company loopholes not to mention the hell of starting back at square one.

There's nothing in the world I would mind losing except my dive gear. I could come home to a completely empty apartment one day and so long as my dive gear was left I'd be fine. I did not know this about myself before. I feel so vulnerable.

What do you guys do? Surely somebody is out there to take our money in exchange for providing real ultimate peace of mind.

Ideas I'm toying with:
* Picking up the American Express Platinum and booking *all* travel on it, hoping their trip insurance covers me every way possible
* Shipping as much gear as possible via UPS/FedEx instead of going through the airport and maxing out the delivery insurance
* Dropping some acid and seeing if I could convert to Christianity, then rely on prayer
* Safe

Do you guys keep a list of your gear somewhere to show claims adjusters? With photos? Have any of you gone through the hell of having to put in a claim at the airport or while standing at a broken lock?

Please share and let the healing begin.

The American express is a great idea. Also your homeowners poilcy check with them. The most importatnt one is DAN, i hope that you have there insurance if you are a diver. Go to there equipement site for insuring your gear and go from there.. Well worth the investement IMO.

Last edited:
I have my gear insured through DEPP, Diver Equiptment Protection Plan. Very reasonable rates. Even have camera flood insurance available. Other than that, I always bring my log book as carry-on and have copied all the old pages just in case! On the way to a trip I also carry on my regs, computer and AGA mask becausing these are replacable but would ruin my trip if they didnt arrive with me.

Be sure and check with your insurance agent. My truck got broken into last year and they snagged my reg bag. Luckily it wasn't what they thought it was and they ditched it around the corner. When I called my agent about the glass replacement on the truck he asked about the dollar amount of the dive gear. When I told him about what it was worth he told me that it was a good thing that they dropped it.
Most home owners insurance covers very little for sporting gear. I don't remember what it was but I couldn't have replaced one reg let alone two plus my whip and other goodies. However, you can get additional coverage and it doesn't cost that much. I think it was $25 a year for 10k.

Back
Top Bottom