Integrated weight system or weight belt???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about the others, but I can fill my Scubapro weight pockets with soft weights, hard weights, or rocks. They'll take pretty much anything.

If you''re going somewhere that has tanks, they also have weights, so there's really no need to bring any.

Terry

KimLeece:
A question to those with integrated systems. What do you do when you fly somewhere? Do you leave the weights behind and just use loose weights in your BCD from wherever you are going? That is the main reason I still use a belt - I don't want the extra weight on the plane.

Firefyter:
My trim is waaaay better, since my center of gravity and my center of bouyancy are closer together. I also find neutral bouyancy a lot faster, since my trim is so much better. With the belt, it was harder, since my lower half always seemed to drift down.

oatmeal7:
Weight integrated is the way to go, IMHO, but no one in this thread has even mentioned what I think is the BIGGEST ADVANTAGE of WI BC's...

The weight pockets in a BC are generally higher up on your body than a weight belt would be...which makes staying in the horizontal position much easier...i.e. when you have floating device (your BC) above a sinking device (your weight belt), the natural posture your body will assume is to be vertical! The closer they both are to the center of your body, the easier it is to stay horizontal.

Deja view(sic)?....lol :wink:

The BEST reason to have weight integrated is the ability to ditch your belt in a safer manner.

I'm sure through training your instructor showed you how to ditch a weight belt and explained that it should be away from your body because it can entangle around your ankles if you don't release it properly. In an emergency situation, having a weight bely entangled around your ankles can prove hazardous.

Weight integrated don't pose this problem. You can read about the pros and cons for using velcro. I wasn't a fan myself, but I've seen BCD's (rentals) with hundreds of dives on them and the velcro still keeps up.

Integrated wight belts are certainly conveniant, however it depends on the diving you do.....Here in the UK we do a lot of RIB diving and the standard procedure is to hand out your weights then your BC then fin kick into the RIB.

With a dry suit and gloves on people sure do struggle to unzip pockets then hand out their weight pouches....If it takes too long and the sea is rough its not good!

Which is why most people wear a weight belt or weights harness here for RIB diving.

I dive in the UK to and use Mares BC with MRS intergrated weights, there is no problem uncliping them and handing them on to the rib :wink: , with a lot of weight in them. Because there are two pockets it's half the effort to pass them up :wink:

In a recent pool dive with others from my dive club I wanted to see how I like the integrate weight pockets on my Dacor BC. So I stuffed hard lead in them totaling the normal amount I use and the rest is to say history.

I have to agree with the others that I found my balance better and my hips and back not hurtnig from the tightness of the weights and belt.

Jeff :dazzler1:

Just do one shore dive with a weightbelt and one with integrated and the answer will be obvious, integrated all the way baby!!!!!!!!

Besides, it's not easy to accidentally drop your weights and by positioning them evenly accross all the pockets in you BC, you can change you floating position.

My BC, takes the hard and soft weights, fly with the ones in the back pockets.

I use small mesh bags I picked up at a hiking shop. I fill them with a mix of hard and soft weights, 14lb each and put them in my Zeagle BC pockets. For travel it’s always warmer than British Columbia so I carry the mesh bags and add whatever is available at the dive destination, soft or hard is not issue.

Still use a weight belt, for two reasons:

1) I have the dirt-cheapest block weights and cheapest belt that money can buy. That way there's nothing in the back of my head about how many $ I'm throwing away to inhibit me. Emergency = gone. Not that I've had to.

2) For me, having the weights wrapped around and as close to the floaty thing (the wetsuit) has given me the best trim. This means I have no inclination to roll or pitch in any direction.

Of course, this is for me. I've tried weight-integrated and went back to a belt.

You just have to find what's best for you.

All the best, James

BTW, my wife uses weight-integrated on her Diva and loves it.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom