Integrated weight system or weight belt???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I must really be behind the times because something inside of me is telling me that they just aint safe and they (meaning most people) don't trim out worth the heck.
My wife spiraled up from 60' one time while buddying up with one of the kids.
I watched her install them correctly and carefully (gotta say they were rental crap to be fair) so I'm kinda sour on them.
So unless they or the way they are used have changed in this last few years they make me think of untrimmed divers that have the tendency to become very bouyant.
I used to use them when I started diving 3 years ago and even smirked to myself that one of the shops actually supplied belts to their students.
Have these things in the last few years been redesigned to hold over 10lbs per side?
My OW instructor had people shoving 15lbs into each side and just about everybody dropped them and shot up.
Seeing a dropped weight pouch in Monterey is not that uncommon of a sight.
I can see their place when used in thirds (so to speak), but that should mean about 5lbs on each side. Right?
I have also worn some real poor weight belts....OK ones that didn't work for my body shape (5'9" 185lbs)
I currently use 8-10lbs on one of them black rubber belts and a 6lb plate.
I can't say enough good things about that black streachy type belt but I'm not sure about diving one dry.

I own a XXL Sea Quest Pro QD+ WIBC. Its has 2 non-ditchable back pockets rated for 10lbs. (5 lbs ea.). The 2 ditchable side pockets are factory rated for a combined 32 lbs. (16 lbs ea./side). The positive locking "sure-lock" system on the side pockets should help prevent accidental ditching (crossing fingers). There is also an additional retaining strap within the pockets as an added safety feature for the velcro cover flap. There are two nylon handles on each side pocket to help in the handling when passing them up on a boat or deck. Features that swayed me to buy this unit.

I went this way because I'm 5'9" and 250 lbs. and have a 7MM wetsuit for cold water. This combo sure narrowed down the market for me on BCDs to begin with. I still intend to use a weight belt but, with considerbly less weight than I would have with a belt alone (34-36 lbs). I thinking this will afford me maximum flexibility and safety since you now have 3 ditchable systems to control ascent, not to mention, the pressure coming off the lower back. As mentioned in the thread above, the DUI harness sounds like a good idea for me to consider since I have zero hips and belts have not been kind to me in staying where I cinch them.

On the bright side, they have not come up with weight integrated boxer shorts. Can't keep them on wet either.

The good int. weights use FasTex buckles, not velcro.

You could hang off the ceiling with the buckles on my my ScubaPro classic.

I don't know how anybody can make a BC with velcro holding 15 pounds of weights in, and not get sued.

It's like putting a car together with hot-melt-glue.

Terry

mech:
Wow, I must really be behind the times because something inside of me is telling me that they just aint safe and they (meaning most people) don't trim out worth the heck.
My wife spiraled up from 60' one time while buddying up with one of the kids.
I watched her install them correctly and carefully (gotta say they were rental crap to be fair) so I'm kinda sour on them.
So unless they or the way they are used have changed in this last few years they make me think of untrimmed divers that have the tendency to become very bouyant.
I used to use them when I started diving 3 years ago and even smirked to myself that one of the shops actually supplied belts to their students.
Have these things in the last few years been redesigned to hold over 10lbs per side?
My OW instructor had people shoving 15lbs into each side and just about everybody dropped them and shot up.
Seeing a dropped weight pouch in Monterey is not that uncommon of a sight.
I can see their place when used in thirds (so to speak), but that should mean about 5lbs on each side. Right?
I have also worn some real poor weight belts....OK ones that didn't work for my body shape (5'9" 185lbs)
I currently use 8-10lbs on one of them black rubber belts and a 6lb plate.
I can't say enough good things about that black streachy type belt but I'm not sure about diving one dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom