Interacting with marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
Please say "Take only pictures... Leave only bubbles..." That's my favorite "responsible diver" quote.
what's your favorite irresponsible diver quote?

howarde:
what's your favorite irresponsible diver quote?

Sorry dont have a quote but I find nothing more offensive than divers who figure they can torment marine life by trying to pull them out of there home chasing them poking and proding at them as if they own the Oceans lakes etc. We as divers are mere visitors in there world and need to respect that fact .May sound like a bit of a tree hugger but its simply about respect,

The puffer fish comment was only a joke so relax:mooner:

NorthernShrinkage:
Sorry dont have a quote but I find nothing more offensive than divers who figure they can torment marine life by trying to pull them out of there home chasing them poking and proding at them as if they own the Oceans lakes etc. We as divers are mere visitors in there world and need to respect that fact .May sound like a bit of a tree hugger but its simply about respect,

The puffer fish comment was only a joke so relax:mooner:
I wasn't talking to you.

Also, I don't think it's entirely a take only pictures, leave only bubbles in every situation. I and my wife both hunt as well. We take lobster, and shoot fish that are legal to be shot... and we eat what we shoot. I also take pictures. But molestation of marine life for the sole purpose of molestation is something that the molester should take a hard look at.

Here's a story and a graphic photo - of what can happen if you harass the wrong puffer fish

Apparently SB doesn't like links from C D N N

but remove the spaces, and make the link yourself

http://www.c d n n.info/eco/e031123a/e031123a.html

Damselfish:
Just hang your hand there. If you're lucky it may be curious and stick at least an arm out to check you out. I'm not against all interaction, but I agree with the folks who say "how would you like someone to pull you out of your house?"

Those are my feelings too Damselfish.

howarde:
I'm not going to say what you're doing is intrinsically wrong, but how would you enjoy being ripped from your home so someone could play with you?

Aside from that. In some places, molestation of marine life is prohibited (against the law) - are there SCUBA cops that are going to write you a ticket? I don't think so, but it's a fine line between fascination and molestation. Be cautious, and respect the wishes of the creature.

If it wants to leave...let it.

Now excuse me... there's a tree that needs hugging.

I would dig it! lol :eyebrow:

I usually pick up octopi if they are receptive to show some of the beginner divers with my what they look like, how they feel, and learn to respect them. After that I gently place them from whence they came. No one is hurt, and someone learned something new.

I have no problem with hunting provided you eat your catch. I like lobster, but being single and not feeding a family I don't go for much else. Other than that, take pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom