Interacting with marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think exercising a good sense of judgement is the best thing in these types of situations. When I took my son to Florida last year, we went so I could show him things in the surf, tidal zones and jettie that he'd only seen in books; we had alot to see, so it really wasn't a quiet type of vacation. We held sea slugs, live scallops and clams, brittle stars, urchins and even picked up an anenome that was on a small rock so he could see how it retracts in itself being out of water. We caught flounder in hand held nets, then let them go. Then caught and looked over a large slider turtle in the springs - I doubt that thing will ever trust another human again! This way, he was able to see how cool some things really are in life, where they live and what they might eat. We were very careful not to harm anything we handled, used "gloved hands", and released it back into the area it came from. He's beginning to see that in every place, in every location, something living exists - and he learns to appreciate and respect the living things around him.

Some things were * cough * dead when we found them. :D

Had one woman on a dive i was guiding this summer that despite the brief seemed determined to stroke/play with fireworms. Every time i turned around she was inches away reaching out.

Must admit though was tempting to just let her get on with it - the fireworm would win.

Codyjp:
I am fully conviced the sheephead i dive with are messing with me when i dive. they seem to be trying to play the game 'eat the diver's eyes'. I think allowing ineraction is just fine but provoking it is another thing.
I could agree with this.

Remember that song "You can't touch this"? I forgot it was by though. :) I think i'd get that "allergic" type reaction with FC; I know for sure Jellies.

Just wanted to throw out a big 'ol THANKS A LOT for placing that God aweful song in my head...... *rocks back and forth in the corner trying to find a new song*

:rofl3:

I've never had a sheephead stalk me, be whoa, those triggerfish are insane!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom