Interacting with marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage:
Does this mean no more playing with the puffer fish:huh:

I prefer the scorpionfish...so nice to pet bare handed!:rofl3:

fishbOy:
You opened up a can of worms here... Don't be surprised if you get flamed by a bunch of tree huggers.

At what depth do you find a tree to hug...

Your best bet is to leave cephalopods alone. Though they rarely bite, an octopus' beak can deliver venom that at best can be very painful and at worse can lead to death.

John

NorthernShrinkage:
Relax we both posted at the same time so i didnt even read your post until after I posted.
I am always in a constant state of relaxation

You are all right. What I wanted to know was the consequences of my own actions.
Be reminded though as I said in the beginning I never take them out violently. Also some times they are us much curious as we are and they touch by their own will.

Coral huggers would prefer that you kill it and eat it. That's not molestation. It's when you let it live that it's considered wrong...go figure

Must admit i tend to side with "look dont touch". I also have little/no sympathy for spear fishing divers who are attacked by sharks. Sometimes, nature bites back :)

you should NEVER EVER EVER touch the marine life... You have no right, none at all... AND if Orlando Eric should happen to post pictures of me and a manatee, it's all photoshop...swear.... :D

I'm a firm believer in respecting the creatures we want to see or photograph. Life is a balance. Just know the limits.. I can't say I've never picked up a lobster, just to see how big it was, or looked under a loggerhead turtle to detrimine it's sex (stuff I like to document for future refrences), but it again boils down to a balance.

Do be careful of those little beaks your pals sport around... I've seen divers come up with bloody hands and fingers from them.

I am fully conviced the sheephead i dive with are messing with me when i dive. they seem to be trying to play the game 'eat the diver's eyes'. I think allowing ineraction is just fine but provoking it is another thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom