Interested in diving Sombrero Island I think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wowowee! in clear water too. how big was it bing?

jigs... the dm from the shop says about 20-25ft... sighting was in coral garden talicud, at just 40ft... was home sick that dive grrrr.... :shakehead:

What an Interesting bit of reading this has been! In my oppinion, where any person dives is the best dive in the world! Any dive is better than working, unless you are a dive pro that is!
If the water is clear, great, if the water is not too clear then look closer to the reef at smaller stuff, great also! If the water is really unclear with only about one foot vizability then go to the bar, drink some cold San Mig and talk about good dives! If the San Mig is not cold, thats a bad day!
I will say that in the Gen San area we have some really great dive sites to suit most divers but the wave action, currents and the viz is very dependant on the weather here which we have noticed in the last couple of years has got much more rainy which affects the viz a lot!
We Do See:- Napolean Wrasse, Bump Head Parrot Fish, Eagle Rays, Big Groupers, Big Barracuda, Reef Sharks, Turtles, Occasional Manta Rays, Dolphins, Pilot Whales, even Dogongs and Gazillions of small fish but I am sure that most of this stuff is seen on many dive sites around the country but the same as here, a sighting of any of these creatures is not a deffinate thing! The only creature that I guarantee that any diver will see is Nimo the Clown Fish!
All the Philippines have good dive sights, I have trained Open Water Students in very poor conditions but these new divers think that diving is great, the reason is very simple, that is their diving knowledge and they believe that it was good diving!
Many divers dive in places that they know and enjoy, its easy for them to get their and their friends are there! Why try to convince them that there area is not good if they like it!
Many divers who come from far over seas do not want the extra travel time in order to get to the more distant locations and are quite happy with sites nearer to the international airports, I do not blame them!
Down here we have never really had negative comments about our sites from the not too many visitors (except for one German Proctologist) he liked 10 star service which we do not supply!
We can advertize all we want but people will travel to where they want! The Embassy Travel Advisories do not help travellers to mindanao!
Thats the end of my drivel and I will now have a cold one from my own bar! Do not take life too seriously, enjoy the diving where ever you are! I do!

:shakehead:

its alright you don't have to tell me where them pristine corals are. I'm not interested, we already have our little pristine patch somewhere north of you.

have some more beer.....

..... and a lot of people know about it, dove it, and we still end up amazed by the dives there every time... :D

hey, how about a day trip or overnighter next weekend when zee is here? we are canceling the camiguin trip.

Just a quick update, a few people wanted to see my photos of my trip to the Philippines in March 2009. Well I have over 1000 pictures of various things up on the Internet now. Here is the link, Picasa Web Albums - Rick

I went scuba diving in Sabang, Whale shark snorkling in Donsol and scuba diving in Davao.

I want to say I had a wonderful time and the Philippine people are wonderful, in my opinion, the Philippines is a great country. I am planning on returning to the Philippines in 2010.

Wow! i spent an hour reading this.

being quite new to diving, im quite happy with what i see on every trip to anilao. but just like everyone else, we all want to see something new.

And i have been lurking here for awhile now and have been planning vacations based on trip reports from PPDers. Unfortunately, i have never gotten past the plaaning stage (haha).

I guess my point is, telling other divers there is an amazing site in somewhere down south, showing pictures and not telling us where that place is or any additional information about goes against "promoting the PI". Not everyone has the money nor the time to go out and hunt for this places. I can't hop on plane land somewhere in Mindanao and just hope i can get information from the locals where their secret dive site is. That will most likely be a waste my time, money and effort.

I guess promoting a certain site will always have its risks. But awareness of the potentials of dive sites may also get the locals more proactive in protecting this areas.

Or we can start a secret thread where we can post our secret dive sites that will be off limits to non-resposible divers who are in SB just to look for secret sites they can spear fish in.

But these are just my 2 cents... in reality, all i really want is information on sites i can visit in the future when i can find the time and the finances to do so. Until then, Anilao will be my secret refuge from work. hehe

Back
Top Bottom