Interested in diving Sombrero Island I think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fact, many areas the we have dived are 'off limits' to many because the parents of locals divers will not allow them to travel to these places.

Jag- now i know why you can't make it to some dives most of the time. and you too, lolo pao. :rofl3:

Actually, I think WWD has a point.

How many times do we get "Where should I stay in Puerto Galera" or "When's a good time to go to Tubbattaha" threads?

Perhaps a sub-forum containing nothing but trip reports from all over PI titled "Thinking of going to the Philippines? Click here" would work.

Then we could all get back to what we do best and cause El O headaches.

Larry- we did have that google map dive sites project started by Pak... i do know for one - that was pretty helpful (it even specify where the Point Bar in PG is located).

Yeah, I know it's good, but so are the myriad reprts and tips that slide off the page.

How about this for an idea - an index of the threads by location.

This can be a single, stickied and locked thread. All suggestions for new locations can be by PM to the OP, who goes in and modifies the post accordingly.

You could simply list all the locations, and link to helpful posts in the rest of the forum.

Anyone wondering about any location we've covered could make it their first stop in researching their potential holiday. Should they then have additional questions, well, then ask by posting your own thread.

I'd like to help people and accordingly, the likes of you and me end up answering the same questions time and time again, because it's a pain in the butt trying to hunt down dead threads, sorta like arguing with Veitch - you know you'll win, but you have to ask yourself whether it's worth the bother.

true... but maybe we have to consider thread cleanups as well... bear with me:

post a trip report of bohol
bohol beach club is nice and peachy
diving was great
food sucks but better down the road at the italian joint
here is their website

then dude from canada or zimbabwe sees thread then asks:

hey do they have nitrox in bohol beach club? (OP didn't mention it because he didn't use nitrox)

somebody answers: yes

some dutch dude then asks: my wife is a non diver and wants to do some non diver things while i really don't like italian food and is there a place where you can convert cash and atm?

so one guy goes: bring all the pesos you can because $$ conversion sucks in the islands

and another guy goes: there's an atm in town and service charge is reasonable

and so on and so on...

so i think beyond thinking of what the thread should do, we should consider how it will work and be managed in the long term...

notice some dead and useless threads that are still stickied - english-filipino translations, 2 dive site mapping threads, the 7107 islands thread, etc.

Jag

actually, after discovering the social groups, I've been contemplating doing that for a while...

it was #2 on my to do list after #1: create group for awesome divers.... :D

It'll be just one big faq of diving in the PI. Something we can refer people to. With the user group mod functions you can edit and delete posts unlimited so there's no bother to contact a mod. I'm in the process of gathering a couple threads and posts...

you're asking for lots of info about sites others may know but decline to provide specific details about those that you know about? not exactly a fair exchange of info is it?

Please let us tell you a story;

There were once two divers who dreamt about finding new reefs and had the drive and finance to do this. They spent a lot of time and money as tourists to find and dive new areas which even the local divers knew nothing about - beautiful coral and (comparatively) very good marine life. Some of these divers were friends and spear fishers (using tanks) - these people promised to respect these places. The divers, foreigners and new in the Philippines, trusted their friends and showed them where the reefs were.

Both areas were totally emptied of marine life within 6 months.

Furthermore, the two divers spent much time researching the control of crown of thorn starfish (some local reefs were infested with these) and they spent much time to research and purchase the best equipment in the World to kill them. (from Australia).

The two divers then left the PI's for 3 months and sold these 'crown of thorn' kits to people who promised to use them. On returning to the PI's, the divers were told that only one dive had been made using the equipment, and witnessed that a whole reef had been totally destroyed by cots which could have been prevented.

Then, despondent - the divers decided to travel along the coast to General Santos for a change of circumstances. There they found pristine reefs and marine life as good/better than anywhere in the World. Not only this, but they met like minded people who knew that that the reefs of the PI's are worth fighting for as they are amongst the wonders of the World. These people (few that they are) demonstrated reef protection/conservation though their actions - not words or promises.

The sites that they they showed us are easily accessible by the same people from Davao who do nothing to care for their reefs there.

To give specific locations of the reefs in the Gensan area on this forum or websites may mean that these reefs will be spearfished and and all our effrots ruined.

Much time, money and effort has already been taken by a few to find, dive and develop these areas including exploration, mapping, buoys, 'making friends' with marine life, etc.

Therefore, we are are very sorry but we will not give specific reef locations here in Mindanao until the mater of reef protection is properly addressed by the Governmenta and real protection is put into place. This is why the Draft EO to protect sharks and rays is so important here.

If we do specifically identify areas, then the good people on this forum will never get the chance to see these places as they should be seen - to see reefs in a pristine state.

We are sure that most people understand this, as this is not about money - it is about protecting the the best coral/marine environment for us, our kids and the World.

Respectfully.

WWD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom