Interested in diving Sombrero Island I think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red wine for everyone! (adding to the drivel).

Such an instigator :eyebrow: Personally I prefer white wine :wink:

Factual information regarding the '7107 Island of Local Diving' referred to;

Postings started on November 19, 2004. The last post was 1st September 2008.

There were 5 posts until Anilao was mentioned (which already has plenty of press coverage and as it is easily reached from Manila - local diving).

Shugar then made links to other areas which are out of date now.

The next 10 posts were comments.

Jonex posted info which missed many of the best places/operators in the PI's. However, this was a good effort compared to most.

Then ensued links to Manila - so what??? - and Asia Divers from Chip (Asia Divers are good and have one of best dive operations in PI's).

Further posts said very little about dive sites and included links which are now defunct (click on them and find out for yourselves).

Ishbabay asked a question regarding opening a new thread regarding specific sites in Luzon, the Visayas and Mindanao - nobody addressed this. (posting no. 25)

The next posts gave some links in the PI's which, again, are defunct.

At last - the 30th post mantioned Antique and gave info.

The next 4 post gave little information and links to dead websites.

Then there were posts to try and promote PG and Alona (last post September 2008).

Zero dive site info or photos have ever been posted on this 5 year old thread.

We think that a new thread dedicated to promoting the best 'unknown' reefs in the PI's by local divers who know these places will really help tourism and dispel the 'less than 5% good coral' assumption.

Sorry if some think that people 'like me' have to make a 1000 posts here before I am credible, but people like us are few and far between and have dived more remote and beautiful areas in this area than most.

We have dived and seen areas than few divers in the PI's/Worldwide have seen and know reefs that are superb. Even the most well-travelled Filipino divers do not know these areas. In fact, many areas the we have dived are 'off limits' to many because the parents of locals divers will not allow them to travel to these places. Just a few foreigners have ever dived these areas. We just want to share info on this forum.

So, if you/others know good areas and have credible info, then post.

Otherwise, don't criticise those who are actively trying to share info Worldwide with others to promote the Philippines.

Thanks

WWD

holy christ just start your damn thread already. No one is stopping you.

I made a suggestion based on the fact that my suggested thread is stickied and your thread won't be. No one gives a crap what you think about that stickied thread. Either you post in it, or you don't. Seems like you made your choice and your intentions are noble so go forth and god speed.

oh come now, this is the internet. I'm far from pissed. More amused. :)

sheesh. are you seeking a nomination to be moderator? you kinda sound familiar.

or is this an invitation to a pissing contest about who-dove-where and seen-what more than us local divers with over protective parents?

There were 5 posts until Anilao was mentioned (which already has plenty of press coverage and as it is easily reached from Manila - local diving).

Jonex posted info which missed many of the best places/operators in the PI's. However, this was a good effort compared to most.

Then ensued links to Manila - so what??? - and Asia Divers from Chip (Asia Divers are good and have one of best dive operations in PI's).

Further posts said very little about dive sites and included links which are now defunct (click on them and find out for yourselves).

Ishbabay asked a question regarding opening a new thread regarding specific sites in Luzon, the Visayas and Mindanao - nobody addressed this. (posting no. 25)

Then there were posts to try and promote PG and Alona (last post September 2008).

We think that a new thread dedicated to promoting the best 'unknown' reefs in the PI's by local divers who know these places will really help tourism and dispel the 'less than 5% good coral' assumption.

Sorry if some think that people 'like me' have to make a 1000 posts here before I am credible, but people like us are few and far between and have dived more remote and beautiful areas in this area than most.

We have dived and seen areas than few divers in the PI's/Worldwide have seen and know reefs that are superb. Even the most well-travelled Filipino divers do not know these areas. In fact, many areas the we have dived are 'off limits' to many because the parents of locals divers will not allow them to travel to these places. Just a few foreigners have ever dived these areas. We just want to share info on this forum.

Otherwise, don't criticise those who are actively trying to share info Worldwide with others to promote the Philippines.

Thanks

WWD

Just taking a guess here...

My thought is WWD might be thinking that it's frustrating at times, especially for non-PPDers, to find information on PI dive sites on SB because of all the hijacks. I know I've come across a least one thread where the OP (non-PPDer) actually wound up asking people to stay on topic.

I've been emailing with WWD about my upcoming stay in GenSan, and I must say, I've found them to be extremely helpful and welcoming.

This is probably just another example of words failing online. :wink:

Thanks

WWD

I had no clue what you were talking about at first:confused: Then I realized you were talking about a sticky. I can't speak for the rest but I don't really understand much about sticky's other than they have to be placed by a moderator (which 99% of us aren't). It doesn't mean that many people here haven't contributed in a positive way in threads throughout the forum. If the sticky needs to be updated then that would be an issue to take up with scubaboard not us.

Just FYI if you look around the forum a little (other than stickys), I think you'll see that many people here do in fact post "good areas and credible info". Many of these people happen to be the same ones that have "1000's of posts". When I made my second trip to the Philippines and was planning my third, I exchanged emails with some of these people with "1000's of posts" and they were quite helpful. :)

You don't really need a 1000 posts, but if you're going to be critical of others then it might help... then it might not... depends on the subject :D

If someone wants the most recent information then they do a search or start a new thread. People are pretty much always here to answer questions. If I did happen to look at the sticky I wouldn't expect information that had been posted years ago to be current anyway.

Since you are based in Davao and General Santos and you say the majority of your dives are there why not post some threads about the diving in your area?

Just because some other areas of the Philippines may not be as good in your opinion, doesn't make them not worth diving. Diving anywhere in the Philippines is better than anywhere I've dived in Japan, but that doesn't mean I still don't dive almost every weekend :) Just for the heck of it I'll add a photo which many of my friends from facebook have already seen :)

n843784243_812267_3764.jpg

I love Dragon Morays... never see them in the Philippines though:shakehead:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom