Interested in Side Mount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The savings is in not having to buy all backmount gear and then switching over to sidemount.

The best thing to do is either find some divers who dive both methods and watch them in the water and also try the rigs out.

Try the rigs out and not buy several rounds of wrong stuff before finding out all the stuff that was wrong and need replacing anyway because diving's not fun with it.

Aint' that right - above things will save the most money.

Sidemounting is mainly for expedition or for major restrictions type of diving like in a cave. If you really want to go sidemount, it will cost you more, for you need to invest not only on a Nomad or a DIY BC, but you will need two SPG's with 6 or 9 inch hoses, and two of everything. If you are going to do SM as a lifestyle diving, then go for it, but it's easier to go from single tank config to doubles on your back then to SM. Get used to the type of diving that requires doubles and then after you get used to the cave environment or technical environment, then you can switch to SM. IMO that's the way to go. Also, if you haven't bought a BC for doubles, I would go with a Nomad so you can switch between SM and backmount later. I would invest in training before equipment so you can be safe in any type of diving that you do. Those are just my two cents!

That's right ianr33, I forgot to mention solo and people with Hernia's! Basically, I think it's more of an advanced type of diving because of switching regs, trim, buoyancy, proper size tanks, etc.. Not to say that BM is a lesser of the two, just that SM requires a lot more tweaking, but once you get it right, it's SWEET!

Sidemounting is mainly for expedition or for major restrictions type of diving like in a cave.

This statement couldn't be any less true today! A majority of the sidemount divers I know are not expedition divers or going through major restrictions. They have chosen that configuration because they like how it feels and they like being able to see their valves.

If you really want to go sidemount, it will cost you more, for you need to invest not only on a Nomad or a DIY BC, but you will need two SPG's with 6 or 9 inch hoses, and two of everything.

And a backmount rig requires a back plate and wing, an SPG with 24 inch or longer hose, a manifold, bands (which cost more than a 2nd SPG!). Everything else is essentially the same.

If you are going to do SM as a lifestyle diving, then go for it, but it's easier to go from single tank config to doubles on your back then to SM.

Not really. Besides theres nothing wrong with sidemounting a single cylinder.

Get used to the type of diving that requires doubles and then after you get used to the cave environment or technical environment, then you can switch to SM.

What's the point?? That's just a waste of money if the intent is to ultimately be in sidemount.

IMO that's the way to go. Also, if you haven't bought a BC for doubles, I would go with a Nomad so you can switch between SM and backmount later. I would invest in training before equipment so you can be safe in any type of diving that you do. Those are just my two cents!

Most instructors require diver owned gear for tech and overhead courses. I would question instructors that allow rental gear at that level. I have gear for the intro courses, but once a student decides to do cavern or AN/DP, they need to have their own gear. Should something break then borrowing or renting is fine, but testing out new gear while trying to learn a new environment is asking for trouble.

Over the past year, there has been a growth spurt in PADI Sidemount instructors who began sidemount diving and sidemount instructors in the same weekend.

And I was looking forward to getting my c-card and PADI chevron to aquaseal to my drysuit.

This statement couldn't be any less true today! A majority of the sidemount divers I know are not expedition divers or going through major restrictions. They have chosen that configuration because they like how it feels and they like being able to see their valves.

And a backmount rig requires a back plate and wing, an SPG with 24 inch or longer hose, a manifold, bands (which cost more than a 2nd SPG!). Everything else is essentially the same.

Not really. Besides theres nothing wrong with sidemounting a single cylinder.

What's the point?? That's just a waste of money if the intent is to ultimately be in sidemount.

Most instructors require diver owned gear for tech and overhead courses. I would question instructors that allow rental gear at that level. I have gear for the intro courses, but once a student decides to do cavern or AN/DP, they need to have their own gear. Should something break then borrowing or renting is fine, but testing out new gear while trying to learn a new environment is asking for trouble.

My response is just my opinion. Curiosity, why does NACD offer a sidemount course after Full Cave and not a backmount course?

Last edited:
NACD, NSS-CDS, and IANTD all offer a cave sidemount courses that are intended to teach divers how to deal with bottle off restrictions, etc. Those courses are different than the Open Water Side Mount course that does not deal with those. IANTD, NSS-CDS, PSAI, and TDI all allow cavern through cave to be completed in sidemount configuration.

My response is just my opinion. Curiosity, why does NACD offer a sidemount course after Full Cave and not a backmount course?

They are having a board meeting tonight,you could ask the NACD leadership this question.

The answer to that question is easy. MONEY.

If you email the training link on the NACD website about training in sidemount that email will be ignored (I did a few months ago...nothing...)...

Back
Top Bottom