Interested in switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) I generally dive reefs and wrecks not exceeding 90 feet, and alternate between an AL80 and steel 130. I would like to be able to run doubles for something deeper like the Spiegel. Is there a single bp that I can use to accommodate both set ups?

The same backplate and harness can be used for singles and doubles, but the wing needs to be different. There are wings that are touted to be good for both; they make compromises and turn out to be really "good" for neither. One thing to look at, if you are going to run both, is whether the plate you intend to buy has camband slots or not. If not, you will have to buy a single tank adapter for your rig. Some people like them. I view them as one more piece of equipment I have to deal with and remember. I prefer an STA-less setup, like the one DSS has. I believe Oxycheq also has something similar, and Halcyon at least used to.

If you are diving primarily warm water with little exposure protection, you will definitely want an aluminum plate, to avoid being overweighted with the 130 or with doubles.

2) The one part of my bc I like is the integrated weight system. Is there anything like this available in a bp? Or do you just use a belt?

There are several ways to get an "integrated weight" type arrangement on a BP and harness. Halcyon sells their ACB pockets, which slide onto the waist belt. They do use up significant territory. I can't remember if it is Zeagle or XS Scuba that sells a weight pocket that slides onto the harness. It loads from the top with a zipper, and releases from below. Or you could use a DUI Weight and Trim harness, which is what my husband does. In any case, such a system is an additional purchase.

3) What is an inexpensive yet quality bp set up to consider? I am guessing I would need aluminum plate, as the ss with a steel tank may be overweight.

Given where you are, I'd look into Dive Rite, although be careful choosing a wing.

With respect to the wing, exactly what points are there to consider? I see there is a horseshoe and circular. As I would primarily be running single tank for now at least, I would probably be willing to get a seperate set up for doubles as I decide to go more that route.

Who carries the SP jets locally? They have them on Leisuepro, and also the spring starps for them, but the straps are $70. Do they have a different size post or will any spring strap work?

I bought my Jetfins on Leisure Pro and bought the straps at Fill Express. They even put them on for me. IIRC they were $20-30 for the straps.

With respect to the wing, exactly what points are there to consider? I see there is a horseshoe and circular. As I would primarily be running single tank for now at least, I would probably be willing to get a seperate set up for doubles as I decide to go more that route.

I have owned both horseshoe wings and donut (circular) wings, I very much prefer the donut wing for singles as the gas in the wing distributes evenly, with a horseshow wing gas can get trapped on one side making it more difficult to vent. Neither is a bad set up, this is just my personal preference.

My Hollis F-1 fins have plenty of oomph and are easy on the legs. Not as stiff as jets but the way they channel the water they are damn near as easy on my knees and ankles as the Oceanic V-12 splits I tried for a little while.

They are showing 95.oo now, not including spring straps. I wouldn't buy regs and such there.

Why not. I would. Same reg, they are authorized dealer for many of their lines now and the ones they are not are no more special than the ones they are. Course I service my own.:D

I currently use an aqualung reg. I have a lifetime warranty, but if purchased through leisurepro, no warrany. In general, the equipment that keeps me alive, I will by from a local authorized dealer. Just my opinion.

Yes. Am probably going to try out the Aqualung Slingshots. Was looking at them Sunday.

Many strong opinions about something as simple as fins. I dive very old fluorescent lime green (not yum-yum yellow) Aqua Lung Caravelles with spring straps and do just fine. They're extremely easy for my family to spot and work just fine under a variety of circumstances and kicks (I think crd_kats can attest to this from our recent Boynton dives including a dive on the Castor with reasonably brisk current). I'm used to the derogatory comments and easily hold my own underwater.

I don't know what I would get if I needed new fins, like they're going to wear out? Though I fear chastisement, I would suggest perusing the article in the May Scuba Diving Magazine regarding newer open heel fins. The top performing fin was the very ugly Scubapro Seawing Nova (I'm not sure I could wear these in public). These easily outperformed the Scubapro Jetfin wannabes Hollis F1 and OMS Slipstream. The Aqua Lung Slingshots also outperformed both, failure points and all.

Best of luck, there are many important decisions to be made in scuba diving

Craig

Many strong opinions about something as simple as fins. I dive very old fluorescent lime green (not yum-yum yellow) Aqua Lung Caravelles with spring straps and do just fine. They're extremely easy for my family to spot and work just fine under a variety of circumstances and kicks (I think crd_kats can attest to this from our recent Boynton dives including a dive on the Castor with reasonably brisk current). I'm used to the derogatory comments and easily hold my own underwater.

I don't know what I would get if I needed new fins, like they're going to wear out? Though I fear chastisement, I would suggest perusing the article in the May Scuba Diving Magazine regarding newer open heel fins. The top performing fin was the very ugly Scubapro Seawing Nova (I'm not sure I could wear these in public). These easily outperformed the Scubapro Jetfin wannabes Hollis F1 and OMS Slipstream. The Aqua Lung Slingshots also outperformed both, failure points and all.

Best of luck, there are many important decisions to be made in scuba diving

Craig

So glad this is not in the most recent spilt fin thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/332465-split-fins.html, brutal, really brutal

I currently use an aqualung reg. I have a lifetime warranty, but if purchased through leisurepro, no warrany. In general, the equipment that keeps me alive, I will by from a local authorized dealer. Just my opinion.

You have a zeagle dealer in Florida, those are great regs, and they have a great warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom