interests...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several things got me interested in Scuba.

I'd say the "Undersea World" TV specials started it. Then in my High School gym class one of the science teachers brought his gear in to the pool. He swam around, then let those of us who wanted to breath off his octo while kneeling in the shallow end. It was only a few breaths and just deep enough to get the top of my hair wet, but it was SO COOL to breath UW. Then a few years later I spent a fair amount of time watching a diver in Disney's Epcot Center's "Living Sea's" exhibit. That was all I needed, and a buddy of mine and I signed up for OW a few weeks after getting back. An interesting note is that I managed to go full circle by signing up for Epcot's "Dive Quest" where a handfull of divers get to dive and be part of the exhibit. The best part was entering the acrylic dive sphere and waving "Hi to mom" for the video guy, then kneeling down in three feet of water and swiming out and being thirty feet under again. It was just like being in the diver habitats on the TV specials.

David

When I was 13, I was supposed to go camping and fishing with my dad for the weekend. We set up camp on Fri. pm and then he had a bunch of chili and beer and started puking up all over the camp. So we packed up and went home.
The next morning he woke up feeling great, but guilty for canceling our trip. So he went out and bought a bunch of Voit snorkeling gear and took me to Golden Cove in Palos Verde, CA where we spent 4 hours floating around looking at the fisheys. One week later we were enrolled in the NASDS scuba class at Aloha Dive Shop in Reseda, CA.

Last week (31 years later) I made 14 fantastic dives in Monterey, CA.

Thanks, Dad...;-0

So I think the reason I dive is beer and bad chili.:D

My dad wanted/needed a reliable dive buddy once he got certified with PADI. He let me try breathing u/w to see how I reacted..and I got bit hard by the scuba bug. As soon as I turned 16 he enrolled me in an OW class at the LDS. I quickly caught on, and enjoyed diving all the time. The rest became history.

Now I have goals set to become a tech. instructor one of these days. Many years from now..ofcourse.

Tekk Diver once bubbled...
Instead of checking everyone's profile...and hoping for an answer.. I'll just post this as a thread & hope for the best.

What got you interested in diving? Or, what caused you to get certified?

My uncle was a marine biologist and an avid diver. He encouraged me to take up diving when I moved from the interior of British Columbia to Vancouver to go to university.

R..

I wanted to fly but I'm not Superman and I hate planes, so...

The 5 top reasons why divers become certified:

#5) Someone gave me a free coupon for a scuba class

#4) I've been snorkeling so diving is next on my list

#3) I am going to a resort with scuba diving available

#2) Someone I know scuba dives

#1) Scuba is something I have always wanted to try for myself.

Been around or on the water my whole life. Did the snorkeling thing in the Keys a year ago July, then talked a friend into letting me try his scuba gear next to the rental house in about 6' of water and was seriously hooked after that (my wife is too:D). Taken 3 classes since and getting ready to do Rescue Diver now.

By the way, being this obsessed with scuba is getting to be hard on the wallet;-0.

Why?

I love the ocean and everything that inhabits it. I want to see it as close-up as I can and learn everything I can about it. :)

I used to watch "Oceans Alive" when I was a kid and dreamed of diving. I've always been a water nut so it was only a natural progression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom