Intro to gear config? GUE Primer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to follow up, Kate graciously said she'd be glad to chat with me. I'll wait until Spring to do Primer, though, unless maybe I can do it in the Keys. The FL springs are chilly for me (at any time of year, really).

You can also look into the UTD Essentials course. It is very similar the GUE primer except you can use all your own gear except for needing a long hose and non-split fins (which the instructor may loan you). They will also introduce you to the full DIR gear as well.

You could look for an instructor for both UTD and GUE and see which one you would like to train with.

Essentials of Recreational Diving - Unified Team Diving

You can also look into the UTD Essentials course. It is very similar the GUE primer except you can use all your own gear except for needing a long hose and non-split fins (which the instructor may loan you). They will also introduce you to the full DIR gear as well.You could look for an instructor for both UTD and GUE and see which one you would like to train with.Essentials of Recreational Diving - Unified Team Diving
To my knowledge, there are not a lot of UTD instructors in the southeastern US.

Old thread but it just answered some of the questions I had also. I would like to try a Primer course myself.

Old thread but it just answered some of the questions I had also. I would like to try a Primer course myself.

Actually Willy it's rather timely for you to resurrect it. I'd be interested to hear the OP's thoughts on the Primer course once he has completed it :).

Well I sent an email to the instructor in FL, awaiting a reply. It's a bit confusing looking for classes on the GUE website as they are few and far between. It seems you have to seek them out. It sounds like something I would like to try though.

Last edited:
Willy,

They pretty much setup the Primer classes as someone becomes interested. And, I believe, but don't quote me that you need at least 2 for the class. So an option for you is to pick 2 days and get with an instructor and setup the class, let them get it scheduled online and others might see it and join. Or, if you already have someone else interested, you just need to schedule with the instructor of your choice. :)

Good luck.

I'm not sure Primer needs two. Fundies does.

The thing about the GUE website is that only classes which have been set up and scheduled are listed there. Rarely do instructors just put up a class and wait to see if anybody signs up for it. The best way to schedule a GUE class is to contact the instructor.

That makes sense, for a minute I was thinking they weren't doing classes any more! I will see how the emails go. I'm sure I can work something out. Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom