Introducing our new Cruise Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand about getting your gear in your room and off the ship, I just got back from Cozumel actually. I rented a Jeep and went snorkeling at Mr. Sanchos (I had nondivers with me) and we visited some other spots. I didn't really shop, so I don't have an issue with hauling gear around. I would take my reg and gauges, I would feel more comfortable with my own gear, which I am sure most people do.

I understand about getting your gear in your room and off the ship, I just got back from Cozumel actually. I rented a Jeep and went snorkeling at Mr. Sanchos (I had nondivers with me) and we visited some other spots. I didn't really shop, so I don't have an issue with hauling gear around. I would take my reg and gauges, I would feel more comfortable with my own gear, which I am sure most people do.

Was there any way to dive & not snorkel at Mr. Sanchos? The non divers I will be with this next time, won't mind if I sneak a one tank dive in, if possible.

Pamawi,

We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Roatan. Looks like we've got pretty long days in each port. If you've been to those locations and have recommendations, I'm all ears!

I've almost always booked my own trips, and have dove several times when the Cruise's operator cancelled. Also heard some bad experiences diving on the cruise charter with over loading.

Main issue I've had on some other dives were killing the entire day getting two dives in. One time it took forever to get a ride back to the ship. Other major killer is where they want to take a 2 -2.5 hour surface interval for lunch.....we're experienced and diving computers, so if I'm spending 6 hours on a dive trip, I'm expecting 3 or 4 dives, not two and lunch!

We have a roller back for the heavy stuff, and regular bags for the other gear, so the gear is not a HUGE issue, but nobody likes to hump the stuff any more than necessary! Any nuggets about getting around those ports and what to avoid would also be greatly appreciated!

Final note, I have one non-diver (can't get my daughter to jump in!), so any info about any operators at a resort would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

In Roatan I loved my dives with Subway Watersports. They drive you around the island to their resort on Turquoise Bay, so you get to see alot of the island. The dive sites are really close to the shore (5 minute boat ride). When I was there they didn't provide water or snacks for SI so you may want to bring your own. You still only get in two dives with a little time to spare for looking at souveniers near the pier. People I talked to who went with the ship's diveop Anthony's Key were happy. I think they have snorkel and dolphin swims for non-divers.

In Belize, I liked my dives with Sea Sports Belize, but having to tender there is a bit of a pain and the area outside the port is a little scary. You have to walk a couple of blocks outside the port to the dive shop. As a woman, I wouldn't have wanted to walk there by myself. We got back just in time to get on the last tender, so that was a little close for my taste. They did take snorkelers on our boat and dropped them off on a tiny island of sand to snorkel around on the way to our dive site and we picked them up on the way back. We spent the surface interval together on a small island for crab fisherman and a couple of shacks with a bunch of wild dogs that live on the island. They packed us a lunch of sandwiches and drinks. Although I enjoyed this dive next time I'll try the ship's dive excursion because they pick you up and drop you off at the ship and you don't have to tender to shore. That's a big time saver. People I talked to that went with the ship's dive op Hugh Parkey in Belize were happy with their experience.

I haven't dove in Costa Maya, but I did take a short cab ride to the small beach town of Mahahual Mahahual Mexico Pictures
which was great. It was huts on the beach, open air restaurants and bars, very rustic, old mexico with $25 1 hour massages on the beach under a tent overooking the water. People say it's like Cozumel before it was discovered. Since it was destroyed by a hurricane, I believe I heard they have built some more sturdy buildings there. You can hire a small boat to take you snorkeling right off the beach and probably diving. I went on a boat snorkel trip with the ship because I had my niece with me and I didn't know we could've snorkeled from Mahahual.

I haven't dove with the ship in Cozumel but I hear they use Sand Dollar Sports. I was in Cozumel last month and dove with Dive with Alison which only takes 6-8 divers and there is a back roll entry. The seas were rough and the ship cancelled all their water excursions except diving. She worked well with cruise ship passengers delaying her departure until 10am to wait for customers from 2 ships and she's very quick to respond to emails. She's a transplant from California so there is no language barrier. I had to take a 10 minute cab ride to Caleta marina for $5 or $6 but had plenty of time to look around the shopping complex by the ship and had a starbucks. She does tend to attract newer divers and is considered a mother hen, but you can stay down as long as your air allows. My buddy and I stayed in the back of the crowd and came up last with 50 minute dives. I've read good things about BlueXT also.

Just back from a repo on Enchantment of the Seas. We had prearranged a 2-tank dive with Poseidon Dive Center in Taganga, Colombia: a 15 minute cab ride away from Santa Marta. Max was super efficient and professional. His dive gear (included in the very reasonable price) was the best rental gear we have ever seen. No problem what so ever in fitting two dives into the ship's schedule! See poseidondivecenter.com for more info....

Got my travel mixed up....we are actually going to Progreso, Yucatan, not Roatan. Anyone have dive info on Progreso?

Just wanted to recommend Blue XT SEA diving, especially if you are coming to Cozumel via cruise ship. I contact probably a dozen shops prior to the cruise, and only a minority could accomodate our schedule. I had booked a month in advance with Scuba with Allison, but a couple weeks before the trip, she contacted me to say she had to cancel. She helped me make reservations with Blue XT Sea, and it turned out great! I communicated with Christi over email and she is very friendly and helpful. You can pay the whole thing in advance over paypal, which is nice, because then you don't have to worry about walking around with a wad of cash in your pocket.

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about the drift dive (after hearing horror stories of people getting lost, etc), but it was totally fine. Our divemaster, Pedro, was awesome at making sure the four of us stayed together, but we still had plenty of freedom to stop and take pictures, etc. He also pointed out some amazing things we wouldn’t have seen on our own – a splendid toadfish (said to be only found in Cozumel) and a very tiny seahorse. The surface interval is at a small beach and they have delicious snacks – papaya, cakes, and juices. The two dive sites we went to were Palancar and Delilah reef. I would highly recommend Blue XT Sea to anyone diving in Cozumel!!

Another cruise ship dive post - we also docked in Costa Maya. I would highly recommend diving with Blue Ocean Safari. Julie, the friendly owner, is from Texas and is easy to communicate with over email to set up the trip. She was very accommodating of our cruise ship schedule. The dive shop is located in Mahahual, which is ~5min taxi ride from Costa Maya.

I went with my fiancé and there were only 2 other divers, a local couple, on the boat. They were doing the AOW class and were with an instructor. We had our own dive master, which was great, because that gave us more bottom time. The shop is right on the beach, and the boat leaves from there. The surface interval is at the beach, where there’s a bar/restaurant and lounge chairs on the beach. One thing to note is that they don’t provide snacks or water (or at least not on that day) during the surface interval, but we had brought our own stuff anyway. The dives were awesome and the dive master was great at pointing out lobsters and other marine life. I can definitely vouch for their competency as divemasters too – I just acquired a 6.5mm wetsuit (yes, even in 78 degree water I need it to stay warm!) and had trouble staying at 15ft for the safety stop (so embarrassing!!) and our divemaster had no problem pulling my buoyant self down to keep me there for the 3 minutes. I think they offer a great service and, again, would recommend Blue Ocean Safari highly!!

My family and I have cruised ten times....on cruise #7 I tried "discover scuba" in Cozumel....then I got the bug and was certified in a cold, fresh water lake in No wis where the thermo was 38 degrees in August....then we went on cruise #10....my daughter (who was certified with me at age 18) and I were going to dive in St. Maarten and St Lucia....instead, St Maarten was too rough so we snorkeled there, and dove in St Lucia and Barbados....great morning dive in Barbados and a day long event at St Lucia....what an experience....both shore and boat entry and the other family members did their things.....jd

My wife and I are two weeks away from a just-booked cruisetour on the Celebrity Xpedition through the Galapagos. Apparently Celebrity can set up a dive at Puerto Ayora during the stop there if there is enough interest on board but it can't be arranged until you board. We are trying to book another dive or two during the trip and are interested to know if there is any info out there on local Dive-ops that might meet us at Floreana, San Cristobal or Espanola during our itinerary.
Failing that, maybe somebody else will be there at the same time who wants to dive one of those places that we could buddy up with to make it worth the dive-ops effort?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom