iPhone Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting,

But the seem to have given no thought about how you attach it to yourself. I certainly don't want anything extra I have to hold in my hands and wouldn't trust myself to stow it in a pocket.

I'm less enthused about the camera, as I am an integrated compass and dive computer. But there is no information about what algorithm they use and how it compares to the leading competitors. I realize none of this is rocket science, but for every other dive computer, information about how aggressive/conservative the algorithm is is readily available.

To me, they missed the mark when they didn't allow it to act as your SPG/compass/computer and ignore the poor camera. . .

Still pretty cool

It can act as your compass. What connection method are you suggesting for the SPG connection?

Yeah there a re several folks out there working on this. I totally agree it's a super cool concept.

For a more complete offering checkout Scubacapsule. Of course, they are not shipping an actual product yet, but it seems like a very interesting option. I'll be buying a new computer by the end of the year and am stalking either the this or the liquidvision lynx. Though if they're both available this year, I'd probably lean towards the scubacapsule. The possibilities of using an iphone as my computer, compass, spg is just too enticing. Particularly if you couple that with potential add-ons for O2 meter, CO meter, fish-id, topographical data, etc...

Regardless of who wins the smart phone/dive computer war, there's just way too much to like about the idea.

-E

Looks pretty well done. Would love to try one out.

I like how it says "replace $1000 worth of gear...", while the unit plus an iPhone cost 650+, which is still far more expensive than my traditional gauges. I think it's very cool that they were able to make this idea happen, but don't find it practical by any means. Kind of like the space pen... why not use a pencil? lol

I think it looks like a great product that will definitely have a market. I wonder if it will be compatible with an iPod Touch, I would be kind of reluctant to take my iPhone underwater and risk the case leaking.

Kind of like the space pen... why not use a pencil? lol

Lousy analogy. The last thing you want in zero gravity is graphite dust and broken off pencil tips entering your lungs. (Or equipment). But you never thought of that... ;-)

Back to iphones...

used iPhones are getting cheaper and cheaper every day.
And once Apple releases iPhone 5, the market will be flooded with millions of iPhone 4S looking for a second home :D

Here another alternative.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Definitely not compatible with a Touch. Different form factor, no compass, etc etc.

The price of a 4S will come tumbling down in the fall after the 5 is released. It may make sense at that new price point.

---------- Post Merged at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Here another alternative (aka eDiver)

Alberto, that's a camera - computer is the fun part! To me the 130ft restriction is the limitation. I wonder to what depth they have tested it...?

Now if you could take calls at 100ft, that would really be interesting! (This is the Basic forum, so I don't have to don a Kevlar suit right?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom