Is a computer actually necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoe once bubbled...

SSI teaches tables, well an SSI instructor does if he/she wants to meet SSI standards. We also teach proper computer use.

Joe

Since I am not an SSI instructor, I did not feel certain enough of the subject to make a statement. I did not believe, however, that any major agency would leave the teaching of tables OUT of their standards. It seems, judging by the above, that I was correct in my assumption. The myth that SSI does not teach tables would seem to be just a piece of gratuitous internet slander! :D

Kimsey0 once bubbled...
Ok here's the story, i was taking the last pool session in my OW class when a new instructer, who was also the owner of the shop (not my original instructer) tried to force me to buy a dive computer when i ALREADY had a depth gauge, and a dive watch. She said that people who use depth gauges are "stupid" and she insinuated that computers are "safer" okay so i respectfully told her that was her opinion, and she arrogantly said that that wasn't her opinion.
I didn't like her attitude (she had been pretty awful to me a few days before this) so i just got up and left.
Anyway, i was just wondering what she meant by "this is not my opinion", so i was wondering if any user of this board has any concrete proof that computers are actually "safer" than a divetable/depth gauge if the former is used correctly? Thanks

I haven't read the other replies yet so forgive me if I'm repeating stuff.....

- it sounds like your instructor was just trying to bully you in to buying a computer. Some shops run on such tight budgets that if they didn't do that kind of thing they'd probably go out of business.

- you don't need a computer. computers are not safer than tables.

- computers do, however, give you longer bottom times on most dives than the tables.

- Most divers have a comptuer these days and you might find that some people won't want to to dive with you if you don't have a computer. It has to do with the bottom times. This is especially a problem on dive charters. In fact you'll find yourself in these kinds of situations very tempted (or pushed) to follow you buddy's computer. It's a bad practice but you see it all the time. I was probably the last kid on my block to buy a computer and it was exactly this that finally made me do it.

R..

An electronic depth gauge and timer is practically a necessity. The analog devices are not very accurate nor helpful for monitoring a 30 ft per minute ascent. So as long as you do have something electronic that tells you your current depth, max depth, and run time, that is all you really "need."

The dive profile feature of most computers is quite nice to have, whether you are in gauge mode or using the computer's NDL algorithm.

With the dive profile feature, you can run table calculations somewhat accurately. But why not just let the computer do all the work? Especially on a repetitive dive.

I have noticed that stores try to load up their patrons with all sorts of gear, sometimes before the new divers are ready for it.

If you are not ready for a dive computer, take your time. It may not be in your budget right now. Or you may not be diving deep enough so that you really need a computer to help you keep track of depth and time and residual nitrogen levels.

Do not let the dive store pressure you into a purchase you do not feel good about.

I took about six months before I finally decided on a dive computer. I remember the store owner giving a presentation to all the open water students on computers in general. I was not ready then, to compare dive computers and make a choice yet.

I am glad I waited. There is no rush.

To reference the original post, a good computer is a great tool to have, and a joy to behold (Sorry, got carried away!), but having someone try to force you into buying a particular computer is not an ethical way of doing business!

The others are right. Take your time, compare, choose carefully, and find one that suits your needs.:wink:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

DA has made an excellent point here and one that deserves re-stating in other words!

Mr. Murphy is always with us, and a computer, while it is a most excellent tool, can on occasion fail. The question is then: "Whatcha gonna do now, G.I?" (...And no, I don't mean HIM...)

this is possibly the dumbest question in this thread!

you looked at it just a couple of minutes ago right? you do know your max depth/bottom time? it was there just a few minutes ago - GO UP, no faster than your slowest bubble. if you can fix it great - if not you're done diving till you get a handle on N2 - rest of the day maybe.

you guys make this seem like it a hard thing ! gees, what do you do if your car's gas gauge stops working in winter and it's 10 deg - pull off the road until you get it fixed? no you say - well it had a half tank just 10 miles ago and the next gas station is ~40 mi up the road i'll fill up there and fix it if they can otherwise i can make it to the next town. or do you carry a spare fuel gauge?

DA - maybe SOME computers have that "fudge" factor but not all and i'v seen very few tables with ANY , if you push them to the max you have hit the MValue after that it's a deco.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...
An electronic depth gauge and timer is practically a necessity. The analog devices are not very accurate nor helpful for monitoring a 30 ft per minute ascent.
I can get by fine monitoring my ascents without a digital or analog device and with greater precision that I could by using an *ascentOmeter*. I use the *stuff*

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I can get by fine monitoring my ascents without a digital or analog device and with greater precision that I could by using an *ascentOmeter*. I use the *stuff*

Well at least we can agree on that! never could get used to useing anything other than bubbles for an ascent. do like the electronic depth gauge for a blue water hang though (really like it at night).

.. I really don't like the bubble watching because they all go faster than I do... and even the little ones grow as the go.

At night I really like my ears.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
.. I really don't like the bubble watching because they all go faster than I do... and even the little ones grow as the go.

At night I really like my ears.

also you get a nice big one to watch and along comes a Batfish and eats it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom