Is a core warmer a good investment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have exactly that. Yep, Henderson is a bit pricy but well worth it for the fit variables, particularly the core warmer. It’s easy to slide over top.
I was getting cold in a 3ml at 78 degrees. I looked at the 5ml’s and except for the Hendsersons I couldn’t bear them. Didn’t want to pay the retail for the 5ml and the core warmer was just the ticket. (LDS $85, maybe it was my lucky day.)

A couple of months ago the core warmer was in my bag, planned to use it but a DM forgot his suit and asked if anyone happened to have any extra protection.
As mine is a small and I’m almost 5’4” and he is much taller and a hunk I waited to see what else was available. Apparently I was it and I offered, he took it gladly and got that sucker on!!!!

Fit really is an issue for me too. I looked at a lot online and must have tried on a dozen full suits. Online, none looked to fit at all even all those multiple sizes. The ones I tried were not at all comfortable or a poor fit. A couple were close to or impossible for me to get on (hands and feet – and they aren’t big – I guess I’m just some mutant) yet the next size was baggy elsewhere. So I was very leery of not trying one on first. I gave up and got the 5ml Henserson as my Christmas present; it’s just the ticket for 75 degrees.

For me the Henderson is just far superior fit and comfort. No regrets paying the *cough* price once I’m getting into it and listening to all the others grumbling. I know others that prefer other stretch – they fit better.

Good luck, I must have sweat off 10 pounds trying all those on and getting them back off.

We bought 2 mm hooded vests before one of our trips, and they were about $75 (don't remember the make). They've been great. I don't think we could have done the dives we've done over the last couple of days in Maui, where the water has been 73 to 75, in just our 3 mil suits.

annasea:
The first piece of neoprene that I bought was a 3mm core warmer. Why? $8 at the Sally Ann! Cheap as borscht! :D Now that I've started diving, I seriously doubt I'll ever use it. I simply cannot pee in the ocean and it's one more layer of clothing to get out of to use the head.

I wound up getting a 5mm full suit, and am planning on getting a 3mm next, so I think I've got it covered. :wink:

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

annasea,

I think the core warmers most of us are referring to only go down to your navel. By sealing off the back zip and the neck opening (if hooded) they let you stay warmer (less need to pee) without adding more rubber all over which lets you dive with less weight. Any suit will be enhanced with this sort of layering.

If you chill first in the arms then the value is less clear cut. A warm core will lead to warmer arms indirectly. There is a point where an overall increase in suit thickness is called for.

Lastly unless you dive under incredibly consistent conditions most divers end up with a mix and match wardrobe. My 3mm hooded "chicken vest" gets worn under my 3, 5 and 7mm suits.

Pete

I have a 5mm full suit and then a 5/3 hooded vest that I wear with it. The hooded vest makes a big difference and I think either it or some other sort of core warmer would be well worth it as. I like being able to layer depending on what the temps are and how deep I'm planning on diving.

Eduardo:
Is this the Henderson you are looking at?:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_ID=HendersonCoreWarmer

$92.36 and ask for the 10% discount.

Or, another option from them is the Pinnacle Torso Heater for about the same price.

Yes... that's it, exactly. That's the cheapest price I've seen on it! I will call them though to make sure it's the hyperstretch (it doesn't say in the ad). Thank you!

I've tried the vests, but they just don't seem to fit me well (I'm odd, I tell ya! LOL) Hooded vests are out for me. I've found that I have ear/vertigo issues when I wear a hood. I do have a beanie... not that it will help keep me really warm, but it's better than nothing.

redrover:
I have exactly that. Yep, Henderson is a bit pricy but well worth it for the fit variables, particularly the core warmer. .)

On full length suits that are thicker (5mm) , I've found this to be the case with me also. The Henderson just fits better. Of course it cost twice as much too.

The water is warmer when you wear a shorty and thicker thermal protection is not needed. On shorties, etc, I don't have to worry about the fit of the arms and legs length, so it's much easier to fit. Therefore the $50 shorty works great for many of us.

Eduardo:
Is this the Henderson you are looking at?:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_ID=HendersonCoreWarmer

$92.36 and ask for the 10% discount.

That's a good price on the core warmer. With SB discount that'd run you about $83 for it. Not that much more than a no-name shorty and maybe worth the extra few bucks.

But back to the pricing of most Henderson products, I wonder how their sales are now that other companies have come out with 'stretch' suits?

Get the 5mm. Well worth the extra. Here's what I do.
When I wear a 7mm and need that extra on the second dive. I put the 5mm on.
When I wear the 3mm and need the extra on the second dive. I put the 5mm on.
We figured that the 5mm hyperstretch adds about pounds for the xxl. Not bad. The hyperstretch really is the way to go. Conforms real nice.

I have to agree with the hooded vest path. It seems like I'm using the next thickest full suit with a hooded vest on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom