Question Is a Mk25 overkill for recreational tropical water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most popular and coveted regulator in Libya is the MK25/S600. There are no service centers at all here. People have been using it for years and years without service and without real proper care. It is the workhorse for the poor fishermen here. They pay more for this regulator when they can barely afford it and can buy the much less expensive ones but they buy it because of its performance, reliability and longevity.

With the MK2, you can't get the better balanced second stages unless you pay à la carte for the first stage and second stage but then you will be paying much more $$$.

For OP, I'd consider the following combinations:

1. MK25 EVO/S620Ti,

2. MK25 EVO/S600

3. MK19 Evo/G260 Dive (probably most appropriate for the OP)

4. MK17/C370 but this isn't available in the US. It is available in EU

NOTE: I own at least one of most of Scubapro's regulators (except the A700 or D420) including the MK2. I stand with the choices above. The MK2's I have I use as spares for my teaching equipment (I use MK17's for teaching) but don't use them on regular basis and not as the main regulators at all.

umm, but it kind of is better, isn't it?

I think I'd rather get hit by another car if I were in a BMW than a Geo.
Yes, my point exactly. Things are not equivalent even if they perform the same basic role.

Great. Enjoy your 1-ply toilet paper.
Neither of your analogies are very good. As I pointed out, any first stage carries out a very simple function, and most first stages, regardless of price, fulfill that function very well. If you choose to think of your regulator as a luxury car, I will let you go on with that fantasy. But, really, how is your mk25 functionally better than my eBay Conshelf? How is it esthetically superior? You just seem to be kind of snobbish about this thing.

Neither of your analogies are very good. As I pointed out, any first stage carries out a very simple function, and most first stages, regardless of price, fulfill that function very well. If you choose to think of your regulator as a luxury car, I will let you go on with that fantasy. But, really, how is your mk25 functionally better than my eBay Conshelf? How is it esthetically superior? You just seem to be kind of snobbish about this thing.
Just the opposite. You are trying to say that all regulators are the same and this is not so. There is an array of features and configuration that will appeal to a particular divers needs and preferences. Weight, size, # of ports, turrets, sealed, simple, serviceability, self service, long term support history, nostalgia, appearance, and so on.

Simply saying you can breath from any model is a useless statement for someone asking for input on selection.

I personally use Mk25s (tropical OC), Mk17 (cold water bailout), DS4 (CCR O2), and a used Navy Seal Conshelf (nostalgic appeal & booster drive Reg), and an Apex Legend (loaner/save-a-dive kit). So there is no one best fit.

Just the opposite. You are trying to say that all regulators are the same and this is not so. There is an array of features and configuration that will appeal to a particular divers needs and preferences. Weight, size, # of ports, turrets, sealed, simple, serviceability, self service, long term support history, nostalgia, appearance, and so on.

Simply saying you can breath from any model is a useless statement for someone asking for input on selection.

I personally use Mk25s (tropical OC), Mk17 (cold water bailout), DS4 (CCR O2), and a used Navy Seal Conshelf (nostalgic appeal & booster drive Reg), and an Apex Legend (loaner/save-a-dive kit). So there is no one best fit.
I’m glad you read and agree with my post #25! And I especially appreciate your saying there is no one best fit. You could almost say, that depending on usage “The mk25 is no better or worse than many other first stages.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom