Question Is a Mk25 overkill for recreational tropical water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could almost say, that depending on usage “The mk25 is no better or worse than many other first stages.”

The MK25 is better than the greater majority of other first stages for most applications. The longevity, the exceptional performance, the LARGE market share worldwide of this first stages is second to none. You guys need to go out of your shell more often.

I’m glad you read and agree with my post #25! And I especially appreciate your saying there is no one best fit. You could almost say, that depending on usage “The mk25 is no better or worse than many other first stages.”
Wow, Mr Last Word. Determined to twist my words.

I will repeat, the Mk25 is a better regulator that many other models and not as good as a very few.

Not only twist your words, they are trying to shove their "last words" down your throat. Unbelievable.

I have the MK25/G260 and they are old enough to drink. They are tanks. The nylon on the G260 is getting pretty scuffed up and the cover that said MK25 disappeared a few years ago, but they still are indestructible. They will likely out last you. The swivel is a feature I like, but might not essential.

As others have said, you are never going to regret buying better and you you have some scuba snob questioning your choices (actually, that is not true. They will tell you anyway. They never shut up...)

Edit: I had not read the last page of comments when I posted this, partly to be funny. It was not directed any one here....

Piston regs suck, especially in remote locations in the tropics where they may not get an adequate soaking in fresh water after every use. Get completely sealed diaphragm first stages and don't look back.

Hi all,

I’m returning to diving after a looong time since my initial open water qualification. I have only 17 dives under my belt. Not enough to know what I’m doing, but enough to know what I do, and definitely don’t, want to do.

At age 67, I have zero interest in cold diving and I very much doubt I’ll ever want to go below 18m. My most likely scenario is wife and I doing gentle pootling around off our sailboat in the Caribbean somewhere around 10m, some shore dives in France, and the occasional trip to the Red Sea.

We’re in the lucky position of being able to afford a top notch reg set - if that’s what we need, but I'm not sure it is. Part of me thinks we should just go for the absolute bullet proof option of a Mk25 and S620 Ti. Because:

A. That set is unlikely to go wrong, reducing one potential failure point so that we can concentrate on safe diving practices.
B. It breathes easily (good for tired old farts)
C. It can be easily serviced in the Caribbean.
D. It probably has the best chance of withstanding the rigours of boat life, living 24/7 in a corrosive environment without unlimited freshwater for post-dive soaking.

But…but…..but, in all honesty a Mk2 would probably do the job. Or somewhere in the middle, perhaps a Mk11 or Mk17. We only need one HP port because we don’t have, and never will have AI capable DCs.

I’m happy to spend the cash if there’s a real benefit in doing so, but I don’t want to spend it just for the hell of it.

Help and advice would be warmly welcomed!
My suggestion is always MK17+ two identical G260.
No crap octopus.
Simple, reliable, serviced everywhere for the next 30 years.

Thank you all for your advice. It was really thought provoking. In the end, I opted for a Mk25 with S620 and a C370. I like stuff that’s described as “bullet proof”!

Congratulations!

I wish you many more decades of awesome and safe enjoyable diving with lots of fantastic marine life and unlimited visibility and calm seas in good health and prosperous life with family, friends and loved ones.

I will repeat, the Mk25 is a better regulator that many other models and not as good as a very few.
The points you made in your post #39 are almost identical to those I made in #25. I didn’t say all regulators are the same. I said they all successfully fulfill the same simple function. My initial comment was there are better and there are worse. I will be happyto let you have the last words as long as you don’t misrepresent mine.
In any case, the Mk25 is an OK regulator.

I will be happyto let you have the last words as long as you don’t misrepresent mine.

So who is going to have the last word now?? Could you guys settle it please? This is getting tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom