Is Anyone "Just Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when we still dove at home it was never with a guide. We only dive warm water now, but most of that is without a guide, even if there is one in the water. Not everyplace requires diving with a guide, and we try to avoid those that do for no good reason.

There are situations (aside from newbies who want or need to be guided) where a good local guide can be useful or even important. But I've seen plenty of occasions where there's no value add, or worse.

...//....I was wondering if anyone was "just diving" anymore? ....//....

You are in Ohio? If you go far enough due East or due West, you will get your answer. Due South will get you into cave country, that works too. Due North is Tobermory?

-Stick to the cardinal compass points. :D

Maybe it's just me (which is highly likely, so feel free to point it out if it is) but after browsing several topics, I was wondering if anyone was "just diving" anymore?

Every Friday! A couple months ago, I found I was getting lots of BT, but not enjoying it. No wonder, most of it was with students during checkouts. Since then I've set aside Fridays to dive and take anyone who shows up at the shop by 9:00. We'll go wherever is best at the moment and get a couple dives in before 1:00 and head back. At first, I was on my own, but we had six on the dive last Friday and I expect that number will continue to grow.

The sites are all old to me, but I get to experience the awe of new and not so new diving a site for the first time. I try to avoid taking students, but make sure I get in at least one enjoyable dive if I do have a checkout.

I hate following dive guides.

At first, I was on my own, but we had six on the dive last Friday and I expect that number will continue to grow.

The sites are all old to me, but I get to experience the awe of new and not so new diving a site for the first time. I try to avoid taking students, but make sure I get in at least one enjoyable dive if I do have a checkout.

I hate following dive guides.

But it sounds like the others in your group are on a guided dive. :idk:

halemanō;5959038:
But it sounds like the others in your group are on a guided dive. :idk:

You're making assumptions...... again. :idk:

Last edited:
Just dive most of the time. only time I'm guided is when I'm traveling someplace and out on a boat trip and the guide is just part of the package. Just diving on friday. :wink:

I "just dive" most weekends except winter.There are several local quarries so I can usually find someone to dive with at one of them.

Just dive most of the time. only time I'm guided is when I'm traveling someplace and out on a boat trip and the guide is just part of the package. Just diving on friday. :wink:

+1, I "just dive" all the time. I am on site about the time the sun comes up and before the boaters are out most weekends.

I hit the ocean locally with friends and my wife here in LA regularly now. I rarely dive or like to dive with a DM around watching me and will admit I even disdain them sometimes. Well, this weekend my wife and I were doing a shore dive and were about to be hit hard by a 3+ foot breaker because we were fooling with her fin and the guy in the water who was swimming about ten feet away said, "Hey watch out, big wave coming!" I let my guard down and he saved my ass. Turns out even though he wasn't diving that day and just going for a swim, he was a DM and instructor. So, sometimes, they have their place and while one shouldn't rely on them, they can be a big help to even have around as another set of eyes when you make a mistake and we all will if we are lucky to dive long enough. Kinda like life guards. I don't plan on needing them when shore diving in Socal and I don't want them in the water with me for sure but I would rather have them on duty on the beach than not have them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom