Is Cancun dead for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancun has great diving for intermediate and even very experienced divers, although most of the reefs are shallow (50-60ft range) the marine wildlife is vastly abundant and huge in variety, more so than Cozumel.
Sure there are dive sites and dive ops to avoid or you may well leave with a bad impression of Cancun diving but give it a shot, you will not be dissapointed!
Puerto Morelos also offers very nice relaxing dives just 30min south and the reefs are very healthy however the lionfish population is getting out of control here!
Coz from Cancun is a mission. Your talking a 12hr day for a 2 tank dive..... nuff said!

Just dove Cancun in mid-January with Ben at www.scorpiodivers.com and had a great time. Cancun diving is not dead, nor are the reefs or fish. Amazing dive was the wreck off Cancun...about a dozen eagle rays (and the one time I decided not to take my camera). Cenotes are only an hour away...if you haven't dove them, YouTube search for a preview. This trip it was Dos Ojos and El Pit.

I dove both coz, cancun and the cenotes when Ben was running MAD and IMO the sealife was much better in cancun, although shallower and flatter reefs.. Cenotes is a leage of its own tho

I dove in Cancun and thought it was great. We took a dive boat out to some beautiful reefs. It was colorful and full of all kinds of creatures. Big schools of barracuda and great sea creatures in the colorful reef.

I loved it.

Short answer: no is not dead.

Complex answer: the reefs are shallower, and there are not as many currents as in Cozumel, there are not walls, but still there's a lot of life, healthy corals, a great viz. Also, cenotes are 40 -50 minutes away, they are a must. Puerto Morelos is also a great place to dive, and is only 30 minutes away from Cancun, also I heard that the bullsharks are back!

If you want to go to Cozumel, you can go with some operators from Cancun, it will be a 12 hour round trip for two dives, if you have the time it will be worth.

Besides, the surface interval (rest of the day/night) Cancun is great! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom