Is Cozumel still Fishy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I first got certified in Cozumel over 20 years ago. While my recollections may not be too accurate, I seem to recall that Wilma did a bit of damage, in particular. Still I have a lot of great times 2010-2020. I was just in Roatan at Cocoview and was stunned at not just the poor conditions of the reefs but also at the lack of fish. On our night dive I saw a turtle, a flounder and an octopus. There is some pretty good macro, even I found a sea horse.
But it felt a little disappointing all round.
I am hearing the same about Caymans and Bonaire,
im going in December and hope it’s as good as I remember, I know that this persistent heat and high sea temperatures are not helping. Is the meso-American reef in decline?

It’s all pretty sad. I am on a Scuba Women FB page and it’s not good news anywhere in the Carribean.. I have been to Cozumel dozens of times, more in the past then recently. I wasn’t able to dive my last two visits. I always would see a bunch just snorkeling at the bottom of the stairs at the Barracuda.
We were lucky enough to be at Raja Ampat in February which was literally stunning. I did easy baby dives on the reefs and it’s mind blowing. At my age, it’s not a trip I can do again. It’s grueling in terms of flights. Maybe worth saving up for Wakatobi while that’s still good.
I just love being in the water. but my NE cold water dives are just too tiring.
thank you for your honest opinions.
Before I hang up the fins I need to have my mind blown at least once. I guess I need to save and plan a western Pacific trip.

We dove the East end of Grand Cayman with Ocean Frontiers in August 2023. Very, very fishy and pretty. Five different species of Hamlets. Avoid Eden Rock (shore dive in town)= dead
Funny thing is I usually make Eden Rock the last quick shore dive before going to the condo to dry out gear and pack. This trip I saw the only nurse shark there. Last year a nursie and a feeding eagle ray 15 yards away. Previous years an octo in 6 ft of water kn daylight and squadrons of squid. But I agree it is relatively “dead” but oddly I’ve seen most of the desireable signtings there. Oh and not one tarpon seen this year.. not at Eden rock or “Tarpon alley” 😕

We dove the East end of Grand Cayman with Ocean Frontiers in August 2023. Very, very fishy and pretty. Five different species of Hamlets. Avoid Eden Rock (shore dive in town)= dead
On my list to try it there.. hard to do with non diving spouse.

Before I hang up the fins I need to have my mind blown at least once. I guess I need to save and plan a western Pacific trip.
The only downside is that you’ll be extremely disappointed diving anywhere in the Caribbean after diving Indonesia - I did a Raja Ampat Liveaboard over last Christmas and it was absolutely incredible. Heading back in Jan 2025!

I highly recommend Isla Providencia, Colombia for both reef life and fishiness. I have never seen a school of squirrel fish before diving there. There are also juvenile mantas around Morgan's Head and schools of luminescent squid in abundance. It is a bit of a chore to get there and it basically boils down to "roughing it" as far as food and lodging goes but, in my humble opinion, it is well worth the journey.

The only downside is that you’ll be extremely disappointed diving anywhere in the Caribbean after diving Indonesia - I did a Raja Ampat Liveaboard over last Christmas and it was absolutely incredible. Heading back in Jan 2025!
Well, at least I had a really craptastic experience in Koh Tao this past August so I'm still pumped for the Caribbean.

This is so sad! I was in Roatan last month and I was disappointed in the fish numbers as well. I was hoping Cozumel was still fishy. Ill be there in January. I'm so sad about what's happening to our oceans.

As a rule of thumb, if it's been 10 or more years since you dived a place it's not going to be as you remember it.
This. Sea life is always changing, and in recent years it has mostly not been for the better from a diver's perspective. For one thing, the water temperature is rising just about everywhere, and warmer temperatures are less favorable to the types of life we want to see when we dive. For another, human fishing in general and poaching in "protected" areas is taking its toll. And then there are the cruise ships...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom