Is Cozumel still Fishy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I first got certified in Cozumel over 20 years ago. While my recollections may not be too accurate, I seem to recall that Wilma did a bit of damage, in particular. Still I have a lot of great times 2010-2020. I was just in Roatan at Cocoview and was stunned at not just the poor conditions of the reefs but also at the lack of fish. On our night dive I saw a turtle, a flounder and an octopus. There is some pretty good macro, even I found a sea horse.
But it felt a little disappointing all round.
I am hearing the same about Caymans and Bonaire,
im going in December and hope it’s as good as I remember, I know that this persistent heat and high sea temperatures are not helping. Is the meso-American reef in decline?

It’s refreshing to hear honest opinions. And it’s good to have my expectations set.
I was thinking about Curaçao, maybe next time. The dive ops didn’t blow me away when I was looking. one place seemed like a cattle boat, the other is under new management and finding its footing. Sadly, the Dutch don’t get very high marks for the kind of hospitality we all enjoy in CZM.
I mean all the ops have great DMs and helpful people. that and the easy topside environment make it an easy destination.
I am remembering that Villa Blanca had an amazing reef before Wilma. is that right?
Villablanca Wall was left relatively unscathed by Wilma, but the shallows close in were definitely, um, scathed. The wall isn't sheer like at Santa Rosa and there aren't any of the towering coral structures like at Palancar and Colombia.

We have visited Curacao several times. I love the diving and the healthy corals; however, they do not have the strict marine park rules which Bonaire and Cozumel have utilized(although, recently, I am questioning the efficacy of these bodies). It is mostly macro and lots of turtles, no grouper and lacking mature, adult fish. Lots of juvenile marine life. It is focused on shore diving. Unlike Cozumel, the valet service is lacking and focused on DIY. There are one or two boat dives that I do, but the rest is shore diving. Go West is friendly and helpful, but definitely not the level of service you get in Cozumel.

Funny thing is I usually make Eden Rock the last quick shore dive before going to the condo to dry out gear and pack. This trip I saw the only nurse shark there. Last year a nursie and a feeding eagle ray 15 yards away. Previous years an octo in 6 ft of water kn daylight and squadrons of squid. But I agree it is relatively “dead” but oddly I’ve seen most of the desireable signtings there. Oh and not one tarpon seen this year.. not at Eden rock or “Tarpon alley” 😕
We used to do that, too. The previous year it was pretty dead…this year dead. 5 years ago it was fantastic. This year…it was a desert except for Damselfish. Although prettier than cockroaches, it seems that Damselfish are the sea equivalent to cockroaches, that is, they seem to thrive in even the most dire of environments.

I was in Cozumel for the first time (ever!) After lots of diving in southeast Asia primarily. On my second dive (Cedral, this past Saturday) I saw several reef sharks (juveniles), a close encounter with a nurse shark, a few turtles and 2 splendid toadfish. Great visibility , easy drift dives, I was quite happy with the diving overall.

We saw a few small schools of grunts (50 fish max) at Tormentos and Yucab, and kind of the typical damselfish dancing at the top of the reef on most coral sections, but aside from that you aren't getting big schools. Did Cozumel ever get big schools of hundreds of fish? Bait balls?

I’ve been going to Coz for 17 yrs and have never seen “big” schools of fish or bait balls. Nothing close to SE Asia. Our usual trips to Coz are March & Oct and I really haven’t noticed much difference overall. Some trips are fishy and others not so much. My feeling is that March is fishier but I wouldn’t bet on that. We didn’t go to Coz with it’s above normal water temps this year so can’t comment of current fishy conditions. We’ve been in Raja Ampat for several weeks now and the size of schools of fish is mind blowing. If Coz had a fraction of that amount of fish with its underwater topology and friendly topside it would be completely over run by divers. Coz is fantastic in its own way but really can’t be compared to SE Asia. Even though I loved Raja I can’t wait for my next trip to Coz!

We sometimes see lots of triggerfish and small schools of crevalle jack and schools (100-200) of blue tang moving along the reef stopping to forage now and then but mostly the "schools" are grunt and snappers hiding from the current under ledges or the back side of reefs.

I have seen bait balls twice. Once was huge one on the wreck probably in 2010 or 11. The were the real small sardine size you could swim through an it was mesmerizing. Then a small a small ball snorkeling north about 100 yards out in front just south of Las Brisas. It was not a big bait ball but it was cool, especially for in just 15 feet of water.

I've seen rooms in the C53 filled with silversides but never on the reef or in open water. Bait balls are actually a predator defense so maybe the scarcity of large predators negates the need for them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom