Is FL West Coast worth diving in the FALL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casana

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are thinking of going to the Tampa area for diving this fall (perhaps end of this month) but we'd like to know if the diving is decent in that area. Anyone from that area that cares to comment, and/or that can recommend who to go diving with?

My only previous (very recent)diving experience is Bonaire. I will not expect the same diving conditions in Fl, but I don't want vis of 10 ft either...

Also... should we wait and not book with a dive operator until we're close to the date to check on the weather conditions?

I've already looked in the internet & got names for various operators, but its hard to choose (I put a question regarding this in the New2Scuba thread already)

The Gulf is great in the fall. A bit more risky weather-wise, but generally great as the water's still warm and the summer crowds are down a bit.
This past weekend diving out of Panama City I spent much of my time on four of my six dives nose-to-nose with a *huge* Jewfish.
My oldest almost lost her hot pink mini-light to an octopus in a tug-o-war.
There were the usual mobs of fish everywhere - great dives.
The only thing not perfect was that there was a strong northeast dry wind that made the surface intervals cold.
Rick

Hey Casana,

I bet that subject line brought a few people in here to look...

Diving is wonderful all year long in Florida, and I have never been in either of our oceans with only a ten foot vis!!! The worst I have seen off of Venice Beach is 15-20 but that was quite close to the beach. I have often jumped in on reefs that were 80-90ft deep and was able to pick the wreck we wanted to dive from the surface. While I have not dove off of this particular boat, I plan to soon from the happy reports of a few friends of mine... Capt John runs a fun ship his E-Mail is

John L. Russell 3 john.r3@ix.netcom.com

You can also find some info at

http://www.scubatampa.com/faqsgdive.html

Have fun and let me know when you are going... I might just tag along!!!

:tease:

Hey Rick,
I'm just a little curious...I was diving in PC this past weekend and also went "nose to nose" with a huge Jewfish. Hmmmm...were we diving the same spot?? At the same time??

~lildiver

Could be the same place - probably not the exact same time as we (our shop) had the whole boat and no one else was tied in where we were when we were.
He was hanging around the Strength on Friday, then moved to Bridge Span 12 Saturday, back to the Strength on Sunday. I don't get back down there 'til 3 NOV so I'm hoping he hangs around. There's sure no shortage of food for him there.
Rick

Okay, now we know lildiver wasn't nuts. :wink:

Rick,

I saw the big Jewfish Sunday on the Strength. Don't know when I'll get back down to PC again...wish I could go every weekend.

Duca, ahh gee....I REALY did see him! I wasn't narc'd, I promise!

~lildiver

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom