Is Horseshoe Lagoon on Big Pine Key really a decent dive site??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been there a few times. It is okay for no chance to dive in the ocean day. There is no way for boats to get in that I can tell.

You will usually see some locals drinking and sun bathing along the edges.

I have seen the following comment on a couple of websites: does anyone know if this site is really worth diving on Big Pine Key?? I searched SB and saw no mention of it from anyone.

scubamama5 is right on the money. Tried it during a blowout week many years ago. Filled a square. Beyond that not worth it. Better you stay at the condo and watch reruns of "I Love Lucy." Or drive to the Bass Pro Shop / World Wide Sportsman (MM 81.5) and see where the rich people shop. Followed by a drink at the Zane Grey Lounge there. Many little bugs in crevices, just like at the deeper hole in the Pennekamp State Park swimming/snorkling areas. Some fish. Poor viz. Highlight of the 30 minute dive was finding a dive flag and a light that still worked even with though it was sporting barnacles. But the batteries were a little weak. The "parking" area near the OS highway has a rep as a crime area.

scubamama5 is right on the money. Tried it during a blowout week many years ago. Filled a square. Beyond that not worth it. Better you stay at the condo and watch reruns of "I Love Lucy." Or drive to the Bass Pro Shop / World Wide Sportsman (MM 81.5) and see where the rich people shop. Followed by a drink at the Zane Grey Lounge there. Many little bugs in crevices, just like at the deeper hole in the Pennekamp State Park swimming/snorkling areas. Some fish. Poor viz. Highlight of the 30 minute dive was finding a dive flag and a light that still worked even with though it was sporting barnacles. But the batteries were a little weak. The "parking" area near the OS highway has a rep as a crime area.

Hi I never heard of the parking area being a problem. Please elaborate if possible
Thnx

not sure if this will work but if it does you could always have a decent
pizza at this place, if you can find it !

no_name_pub.JPG

I'm trying to figure out how to include an image in my post. The picture came out
a bit smaller than I had hoped. Anyway, there's a little pub down there called the
" No Name Pub " that serves cold beer and a pretty decent pizza !

I'm trying to figure out how to include an image in my post. The picture came out
a bit smaller than I had hoped. Anyway, there's a little pub down there called the
" No Name Pub " that serves cold beer and a pretty decent pizza !

I heard that as well from a local I was talking with at the Looe Key resort bar (They give you a free drink ticket for after your dives)

Anyway...speaking of "odd shore dives" has anyone every dived the old submarine "pens" that are on either Stock Island or Boca Chica? (forget which one) we saw them while on a jet ski trip a few years back, and I wondered if anyone ever tried them? They are apparently about 50-70 feet deep.

Just askin':idk:

No Name Pub is a Keys institution and well worth a visit!

These are two "gravel pits", one on either side of the Bahia Honda new bridge. They were dug for fill material to make the embankment ramps that lead up to the bridge, circa 1972. In 1972 they were muddy, low visibility, almost lifeless pits, and they are almos the same now. Problem is poor water exchange/circulation. Each pit has a narrow, shallow mouth leading to bay. Mouth is only 10 feet or so, and pit itself is deeper (when dug they were about 42 feet deep in center. have filled in now with time). The constricted mouth of the pit creates poor water exchange and is why they remain almost lifeless, compared with water on other side of pit. You used to be able to drive all the way out to the end. Camped there in a van many a night back in 70's. Was kind of nice, all alone, but times change. I would not recommed this place as a dive, other than for kids who need to gain a little experience. Nothing much to see. Much better as a kayak launch. Two years ago when my 13 year old was not quite 11, we dove it. Someone had removed the guard rail that blocks vehicles from driving out to the water's edge. So I drove up to water, unloaded gear for my boys and I, then drove back to parking area and it worked out fine. This hole will always be marginal and with low visibility due to mud bottom and poor water circulation. Good place for low time divers to get a dive in when diving everywhere else is too rough, but that's it. Hope this helps. Will in Sarasota. Have fun. Dive safe.

Hi I never heard of the parking area being a problem. Please elaborate if possible Thnx

Crimes of opportunity. Being many years ago I don't remember the specifics but it was something like, "The car is unattended so don't leave stuff in view and make sure someone is watching anything you leave on shore (like keys or anything of possible value)." That's how it went I think. Much like things are, more and more, today. And with more government resources being spent on public defenders, law enforcement stretched thinner and thinner and our borders, essentially, wide open, I doubt the situation has improved.

P.S. Thanks for the chance to soap box it.

After a bit more reporting on the site it does not sound very exciting.
I had thought there was more saltwater flow and was wondering why
the vis would be so low. Definitely sounds like a last choice type dive.
I'll just have to stop in at the pub for a pizza and proceed on down
to key west.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom