Is it a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

still new

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am heading for Mexico in just over two weeks. I haven't dove since last year so I went back to the dive shop where I did my confined part of the course and spent an hour just playing around and working on bouyancy etc. What I need to know is, should I credit another dive in my dive log? I intend to do it at least twice more before I leave for Mexico and then watch out I'll go crazy, I already have 10 dives planned for the second week.

Go ahead and log it as a pool refresher session if you want.

A log book is YOUR personal reference so you can put anything you want in there.

It is not a "dive" dive, but it sure counts towards keeping your skills up.

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think a confined pool dive is classified as A DIVE:popcorn: But it may be interesting to hear some other responses.
Kelly

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think a confined pool dive is classified as A DIVE

I think a hot tub qualifies! :rofl3:

That means I have logged two-hundred, thirty-eight thousand and ten dives.:D

I think it should be logged, specifically how much weight you use, type and size of tank, what protective gear you wear, kick count per 20/25 yards. It is important to keep this data, as one of this day, you will find yourself diving the same configuration, and can not remember what weight you need. You should also do a good buoyancy check once your tank is down to 500 psi, and trim excess weight until you are just slightly negative with this near empty tank.

In training, your instructor would not count it toward your log. As I understand it, some dive organization defines a dive as a significant learning experience, so some pool dive might qualify. But most instructors, I believe, would not count it as a real dive for qualification purpose.

If a resort require a "real dive" within a year, you might be lucky and pass this one. It might be better just to sign up for a refresher dive with a DM (in the pool), that will likely count as a skill dive to satisfy most resorts. I think most dive shop will give you a sticker for your C-card or log book to show you pass your skill tests. One local LDS charged only $25, a give away price, for a refresher course. You meet with an instructor for an hour or two going over the OW test, then spend about 45 minutes in a pool. I think most charge 3 to 4 times as much, you might want to do that just to be sure. It might be good to get a really experienced diver to go over your skills with you. I think the skills are listed in the PADI OW book, and as long as they are performed in shallow water, you really can't kill yourself doing them.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, most dive resort in Mexico doesn't give a hoot about your dive log, they only want your C card. As rusty as you might be, you should demand that your dive boat does not take you to deep sites or sites with strong currents. Add heavy waves to the mix, you could be in over your head, literally.

What I need to know is, should I credit another dive in my dive log?

The word "credit" is an odd word here, and I wonder if it indicates that you merely want to get your dive count up? If that's the reason you want to log it, I think that's not a very good reason to do so.

If on the other hand you actually want to log it in order to record any particular information - how you were weighted, changes in gear configuration, etc - that would make sense.

I'd recommend that you log it to capture the information, but don't "count" it towards your number of dives.

I am heading for Mexico in just over two weeks. I haven't dove since last year so I went back to the dive shop where I did my confined part of the course and spent an hour just playing around and working on bouyancy etc. What I need to know is, should I credit another dive in my dive log? I intend to do it at least twice more before I leave for Mexico and then watch out I'll go crazy, I already have 10 dives planned for the second week.

When was your last dive, last year? That could have been as little as a couple months, or longer than a year. You want to acurrately record info that matters to you for reference, but don't jack the number of dives in the book just for volume.

It definitely counts as a refresher of your skills and is a very smart thing to do prior to going to Mexico. It is not a "dive" in that it was not in open water. I would not count it as a open water dive, but definitely count it as a review of your skills.

By all means log it.

Be sure to capture what you need to work on next time and anything that came to you as a breakthrough like a different weight arrangement. The reason we log is to have a record and a keepsake of our diving.

For a small percentage of dives a formal definition of "what is a dive" is applicable and it varies by agency. This is usually only an issue when going for some higher level certifications. Here there are 2 options for you.
1. Log anything you want to. If a particular dive is not in scope they will simply not count that one.
2. Log everything but do not increment your dive count for such dives. (my choice)

Either way I encourage you to enter them to keep track of the experience.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom