Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all the people who say you can carry-on a set of gear, how much does your kit weight?

Although my stuff is definitely heigher than average - SS BP/W & Jetfins are the two worst culprits - even if I replaced these with flimsy versions there is no way I could get anywhere near allowable carryon weight.

BP/W - 4kg
XL Jet Fins & SS straps - 3.5 kg
Reg set - 3kg
Wetsuit - 2kg for 3mm
Booties - 500g
Camera & case - 500g
Repair kit & logbook - 2kg
Torch 1kg
SMB & reel 500g

Total 17kg.. with a lightweight BP/W, fins and torch I could get that down to 12kg.... still double what most airlines I fly let you carryon and there are definite problems with size of the bag too.

This is not including clothes, toiletries, books or anything... or the weight of the bag.

In Canada or at least on Skyservice, you aren't allowed to put your reg's in carry on.
They said you could gas the plane and breathe off your reg's to take over the plane.
I'm not sure where they think you are going to get your supply of air from, and I always thought you guys had it worse than we did.

That is priceless.

But I'm not sure it's so much a question of weight, as it is getting everything jammed into a small amount of space. I've never had anyone weigh my carry-on, and I've definitely seen travelers shove a suitcase the size of a steamship into the over-head baggage compartments.

I suppose a good compromise might be to pack regs, bcd, wetsuit, comp, mask, swimsuit and cert cards in carry-on. Then clothes, booties, fins and everything else in checked baggage. So at least if your checked bags end up in Abu Dhabi, you'll have everything important with you.

i pack in my carry on:

mask
bp/wing
regs
computer
compass
boots
wetsuit
smb
finger spool
log book pages
c card
camera and housing
strobe

EVERYTHING i need except for fins. they go checked. i weigh my bag and it normaly comes in around 38 -39 pounds. the limit for carry on is 40#. so it can be done and at a alowable weight.

Russ

In Canada or at least on Skyservice, you aren't allowed to put your reg's in carry on.
They said you could gas the plane and breathe off your reg's to take over the plane.
I'm not sure where they think you are going to get your supply of air from, and I always thought you guys had it worse than we did.

Be careful when you generalize. Never had an issue with Air Canada or Westjet - besides, its the CATSA that screens carry on.

I wasn't generalizing anything. When I contacted Skyservice the first time I flew with them, thats the answer I got back

I carry on everything you mentioned except Fins and wetsuit. I can make due with rental fins and wetsuit if needed.

I fly only carry-on. Couldn't do it without my small fins which are real space savers. Also, I count out exactly how many vitamins, decongestants, band aids, t-shirts, extra O-rings, etc I need to pack, and keep a current list (always edited and adjusted from the trip before).

Maybe it's rare to have your gear "misplaced." But it happened to us on one trip, to a traveling companion on another trip, to the people ahead of us in line on another trip -- and we only go on dive vacations once every two years. So we've gone strictly carry-on for years. Granted, with the recent restrictions, it's more difficult. And it only works on regular-size airplanes. If we have to switch to a small island-hopper, the main bag goes underneath the plane, and a small knapsack holds the regulator, mask, divelog and prescription drugs. (We rent a computer, and don't have a camera. I expect that would put us over the edge for space.)
You have to travel light, including the fins, but you can do that in warm-water diving. Many years ago we took a buoyancy workshop with Bruce Bowker at Carib Inn. The following day we were able to cut our lead by half, which cut way down on how hard we have to work at diving. We use small, lightweight "snorkel fins," which fit in a carry-on. We've had a few derisive comments from divemasters about our fins, and they also thought we were nuts to be using so little lead. But I noticed none of those macho dorks had much to say to us after the dive was over.
So, see if you can do it with carry-on. Use a bag that's specifically sized for the overhead compartment. Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door has good carry-on luggage; I'm sure lots of other companies do as well. And make sure you pack the bag so the front and back are FLAT. If it's bulging, it won't fit overhead, and your fellow passengers will not be happy with you.

i pack in my carry on:

mask
bp/wing
regs
computer
compass
boots
wetsuit
smb
finger spool
log book pages
c card
camera and housing
strobe

EVERYTHING i need except for fins. they go checked. i weigh my bag and it normaly comes in around 38 -39 pounds. the limit for carry on is 40#. so it can be done and at a alowable weight.

Russ

What carry on bag are you using? Is your backplate Al or SS?

Back
Top Bottom