Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some years ago a guy at O'Hare was carrying on a small, .20-sized radio controlled airplane. As I passed the poor flight attendant who was trying to figure out how to stow the silly thing, I caught her eye and mentioned how reassuring the sight of it was. When she gave me the puzzled look, I smiled and said "This first time I've ever been on a plane that carried a spare!"

I think I'm lucky they didn't throw me off!

In a standard size carry on roller I was able to pack my:
Zeagle regs in a reg bag,
my Zeagle Ranger (I mention it by name because its prety big)
mask
snorkel
fins
and toiletries.

Took it all the way to Galapagose that way as carry on. almost no issues.

I took BPW, mask, regs, comp, back up lights, fins strapped to outside of the back pack, wetsuit boots and 3 mil to Fla last year. Go to oceanic's website and look at their ATPAK. It's a roller backpack that fits into overhead. It was designed that way. All of my warm water gear fits in it with room for a change or two of clothes(shorts and tshirts what else is needed). Weight is not an issue so far on domestic flights and to Bonaire this past february. The key is to not be a wuss and act like the bag is heavy. If you sling it and toss it around like it's full of feathers nobody even looks twice. Just don't let a flight attendant try and stow it. Do it yourself.

For the past four years my daughter and I have been traveling to warm water destinations (Carribean, Hawaii) with two sets of warm water gear, 0.5mm full suits, camera housing, flash swimm suits, accessories all fitting in a TUSA RD2 roller bag which we check. Bag and gear weigh 47 Lbs. dry. If the stuff isn't fully dry we weigh in at 53 Lbs. slightly over the 50 Lb. no fee limit. So far we have only been warned and not charged. What has become more problematic is getting our luggage from the caurosel in a timely fashion (recently had to wait one hour in Seattle) and missing closely spaced connecting flights because we had to take the checked bag back through Customs on ouir return to the U.S. There is also always the the attendant worry over our luggage when a connecting flight has to be made. So I recently decided to go all carry on. Here is how we are going to do it. I bought two Oceanic AT-PAK4 roller carry ons (20" x 15" x 10") and 7.8 Lbs. Right now Scuba.com has them on sale for about $50.00.

My dive gear is as follows:

Aeris Reef Rider BC w/Air link integrated inflator/alternate second stage; Aeris Atmos AI computer/compass; Tusa mask and snorkle; Freemax full foot snorkle fins; 0.5mm full suit; Oceanic Omega II primary second /cdx 5 first stage regulator. The fins are about 21" long and should fit without too much bending of the foot pocket. That set up weighs approx 15 lbs. So with the carry on bag we should be at about 23lbs. Add a camera housing, arm, tray and flash for about another three lbs. My daughter's set up is not too different. We will mail (UPS?) our knives/sheaths ahead of us. We will carry our vacation clothes (we don't take that much more than what we are wearing on the plane) in our "personal bag". Anyway that's how I expect to do it.

I would be devistated If I didn't have my own gear. I went to Juneau Alaska a couple of years ago. My lattern, flashlight, and knife went into my checked luggage. Everything else including by drysuit went in my carry on. On the way back I checked all my scuba gear. This way I was assured I had everything important with me at the start of my vacation. I imagine that airlines will start to crack down on this pretty soon, so double check the rules before you leave.

With risk of being called a"noob dive flyer" yes it can be done. I just did cayman and I got it all (except fins) in a 20" carryon and a backpack. My fins are 24" long so I just rented. sucked, but I got the most important parts of my gear (everything else). looking into force fins to solve that prob. YMMV

BCD
2x 3mm full wetsuit w/ gloves/boots
2mm shortie
reg
computer
2 masks
save a dive
shorts/bathing suits
2 snorkels
flashlight
Logbook
sample toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner and toothbrush

I just bought an Oceanic At-Pak 4 Wheeled Carry-On and I am planning to use it. It is carry-on regulation size and the issue is that you strap the fins on the outside (I am planning to take the fins as the second personal item though).

I was able to fit a bc, regulator, wetsuit, mask, camera case, warm-water gloves, and light as well as a pair of trunks and five t-shirts. So my answer would be that you can, as long as you do not take anything else.

Last edited:
Sorry, I converted my jacket-style BCD to side-mount diving. I have not enough pockets on my harness to store my duty-free purchases, let alone a bottle of good old single malt to help me cool down after paying an extra $50 to check a second bag. Furthermore, TSI now wants to see my replacement hip since the stainless steel backplate always sets off the alarm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom