Is it rare to be able to pop your ears on will/demand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I broke my nose when I was younger a few times and now when ever I like I equalize.
its a good thing :wink:

i realized it the other day on a dive that i didnt have to hold me nose anymore. sure makes it easy

brett

I just have to swallow and my ears equalize. But poor hubby has to do all sorts of jaw and nose gymnastics.

I've been doing that years before I got certified. It's hard to explain. If you do it and "freeze" whatever muscles while your at the "peak" of it--ei. when it "pops"?- you are in effect plugging your ears without using your fingers. Try it when a big noisy truck passes you to dim the sound.

Interesting discussion.

I have asked instructors & other divers the same question a number of times and not received an answer until now. I have allways been able to clear my ears with no concious effort. During my OW cert dives my instructor scolded me for not clearing and didn't buy my explanation that I didn't need to so I grabbed my nose from time to time just for show. Lat weekend we did four dives to 75-90' diving a square profile. I was able to decend from the surface to 85' with no discomfort and without conciously clearing my ears. That said, I have been on at least one or two where I did have to clear.

Thanks for the info.

You'll still need to hold your nose some, I learned that trick(no nose holding) a few months after certification---in fact I'm sitting as we speak 'popping' my ears by opening my mouth & moving my jaw from side to side....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom