Is it rare to be able to pop your ears on will/demand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started off diving needing frequent valsalva to equalise. Over the years its now exceeding rare i need to do anything except jaw waggle or swallow. Im guessing the muscles are now much more stretched (and/or damaged) as a result of diving so its easier.

The only times i still need nose pinch is on dives where lots of ascents/descents (so mainly some teaching dives with CBL/AAS and so on) or if ive got a cold coming in a few days.

Nope.

The Frenzel Maneuver was named for developer, Herman Frenzel of the Luftwaffe in World War II. This method is preformed by closing off the vocal cords, pinching the nostrils and an effort is made to make a "guh" sound.

If you can clear your ears without pinching your nose, so much the better for you. It'd be good to make sure that your instructor and/or divemaster know before you begin your certification dives.

When I was a divemaster, I remember stopping a student on the descent line, pointing at him and pinching my nose to tell him to equalize. It wasn't until we surfaced after dive 1 that he told me he could equalize without pinching his nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom