Question Is it unusual that in September AA has almost no nonstop flights MIA-CZM ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H

Himself

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Number of days with AA NONSTOP FLIGHTS MIA to CZM in month of:

March 31
April 30
May 31
June 30
July 31
August 31
SEPTEMBER 3
October 25
November 30
December 31
January 30

Not familiar with AA, but as @gopbroek mentioned , United used to dramatically pare back flights in September and October as I recall. For the airlines , their schedule isn’t just a function of reduced demand for Cozumel , it can be a function of increased demand for alternative routes. I think business travel declines in the summer since so many people are on vacation it is not a good time for conferences etc , there may be some pent up business demand going into September/October when kids return to school. Cozumel demand in Sept/Oct is lower since it is very warm, humid , and the peak of Hurricane season. AA may also see the same dynamic with flights into Miami that might feed Cozumel (if there are fewer flights into Miami, there would be less potential volume connecting to Cozumel —not certain of the dynamics of that market ).

The reason I think other markets may be pulling flights away from Cozumel is that sometimes flight frequency will decrease as we go into Cozumel peak season in January and February— the only way that make sense to me is if they airlines can make more money somewhere else (ie business travels or ski travel ).

The entire Caribbean market retracts from late August thru early November, been going on for decades. I travel non revenue standby so I watch the flights and load factors. On the routes they do not reduce schedule, the load factors typically drop pretty low. The last few years post COVID there was a trend referred to as 'revenge' travel where folks said 'fck it, I deserve a vacation and am going regardless' this trend is leveling off and travel patterns are becoming more normal.​

Our favorite Southwest flight to CZM from Hobby airport is dropped in most September-October time frames…we've gotten used to it-- but hate the drive from Galveston to IAH.

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom