Is my LDS getting too Greedy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can use a tank - basically, a 30 foot pool, as an open water checkout dive?

Am I reading that correctly?

If that's the case - that's just plain wrong. I don't dispute what you are saying is correct, I just think Open Water checkout dives should be - ahem - in Open Water.

I guess the requirements for an open water dive is a body of water 16ft in diameter, 16ft deep, and not enclosed like a swimming pool. It has to be open to the sky. The tank the Tom's Diving uses for their course is 30ft deep, not sure the diameter.

I personally do not agree with this criteria. I believe an open water should be in a location where you actuallly scuba down and look at something, then come back. It should be a chance to really use all the skills you learned in the class.

Kudos to Tom's Diving. Since the instructor is retired he said we can either attend a scheduled open water dive or schedule a one on one open water dive to fit our own schedules. The price for the course stays at $225, including all gear for the dives.

-Marcus

LDS attempted to give me a hanger for a wetsuit he knew I bought online, even though I had wallet out and ready to buy. Since I was buying wetsuit shampoo also, I paid for everything. Of course, my LDS/instructor admits that the reason for the shop's existance is simply to support his own hobby.

GlockDiver once bubbled...
LDS attempted to give me a hanger for a wetsuit he knew I bought online, even though I had wallet out and ready to buy. Since I was buying wetsuit shampoo also, I paid for everything. Of course, my LDS/instructor admits that the reason for the shop's existance is simply to support his own hobby.

And your LDS is....

scubasean once bubbled...

And your LDS is....

Monroe Dive Center

There are two types of LDSs, those that are in it for the sport, and those that are in it for the money. The later will eventually realize that there isn't much money in scuba, and will anger their customer base in the process. Those who are in it to support their own hobby will have a loyal customer base, who will help you survive the "bad" times.

Seems like in scuba you can make money, or friends, but not both. I guess I'm fortunate to have a LDS that cares about keeping people diving first.

At least one shop on Maui will do OW certs (PADI) for $125 in three days... I frankly can't understand how they can afford to do it for that price, but that's what they charge.

I would find another shop. Those prices and customer service are crap. If they are going to do that to you b4 you are even certified, then what kind of service do you expect later. Learn your lesson early and move on.

PS - they probably won't be in business long anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom