Is my motherboard fried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
During a great week of diving on Bloody Bay Wall off Little Cayman, I got a slight leak in my Amphibico VX1000 housing, I think through the mic membrane. This happened to me about 5 yrs. ago and that's where the water came in then The moisture followed the mic cable down to the motherboard. I got a new motherboard from Amphibico; they cleaned up my old board and sent it back, but said they couldn't guarantee that it would work. I am going to put it in to see if it will. Here's my question: Another video-photo guy on the trip told me it I were to dunk the motherboard into isopropol Alchohol, it would take the salt water residue off and maybe make it usable again. Anybody out there know if this is possible or have electrical experience about such matters? When my cam quit during the dive, I thought I ran out of battery; my red alarm moisture light never signaled a problem. When I put a new batt. into the cam, and turned everything on, my green and red lights came on, (that's normal) then blinked off; (not normal) the green ready light should have stayed on. I'm not an electical techy person, so I don't know it the moisture just "fried the board" and I need to get a new one, or will a good cleaning possibly make it usable again. Less than half an ounce of moisture came out of the cam housing when I opened it and tipped it back. The cam was not affected. Any info you could provide for me will be appreciated.

aloha barracuda2,

this is your lucky day.
I had it happen to me about 8 years ago about 3 times before Amphibico finally sent me a plg to put in the mic place.
Thats what you should do. Request a plug. they'll send it to you for free. if not demand one for free. They do not put Stereo mics on their housings anymore because the membrane was to delicate. now they use hydrophones. which are ok but the audio is abit muffled. Those stereo/membrane mics were great for shooting on deck and not having to take the camera out of their housing. Don't worry though the camera will still pick up audio thru the housing. take the board out all together and just leave your camera mic set up in default. it'll work fine. I used it for a couple years and then sold it all becus I fell in luv with the TRV-900 and Amphibico Navigator 900. Great low light camera and great manual housing. No more electronic housings for me. Only manual.
The nav 900 has a flip out screen on the housing which is magical. great for macros and moving shots. you can use your peripheral visison more. too bad they discontinued them already .

anyways. any questions just ask.

Aloha.

MAUI DIVER:
aloha barracuda2,

this is your lucky day.
I had it happen to me about 8 years ago about 3 times before Amphibico finally sent me a plg to put in the mic place.
Thats what you should do. Request a plug. they'll send it to you for free. if not demand one for free. They do not put Stereo mics on their housings anymore because the membrane was to delicate. now they use hydrophones. which are ok but the audio is abit muffled. Those stereo/membrane mics were great for shooting on deck and not having to take the camera out of their housing. Don't worry though the camera will still pick up audio thru the housing. take the board out all together and just leave your camera mic set up in default. it'll work fine. I used it for a couple years and then sold it all becus I fell in luv with the TRV-900 and Amphibico Navigator 900. Great low light camera and great manual housing. No more electronic housings for me. Only manual.
The nav 900 has a flip out screen on the housing which is magical. great for macros and moving shots. you can use your peripheral visison more. too bad they discontinued them already .

anyways. any questions just ask.

Aloha.

Thanks for the reply Maui Diver. I checked the mic membrane for bubbling,(that's what Amphibico tech told me to look for None was present and everything looked ok. I'm sending the housing in and I am going to request to plug the mic port anyways. If it wasn't thru the mic, it came in somewhere and I need to know where, so they will pressure check and either fix or replace the motherboard:( $$$$. I've go a major trip in March to Palau and Yap and I want everything to be in order. Thanks again for the comeback.

Back
Top Bottom