Is Nitrox helpful in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another way of thinking about it I suppose would be if not Nitrox in RA, where? :)
Sharm El Sheikh/Ras Mohammed/Strait of Tiran you can do 300 meter dives on virtually all the sites. You REALLY wanna do nitrox for those profiles :p

But really - If you plan on doing 3 or more dives a day, every day, for a week or more - Nitrox is worth it, especially if you get a "package price"..

The boat (dewi nusantara) has a membrane system so you don't need to pay upfront
It is 220$ for the cruise that works out at 6.50 per fill which is not cheap in absolute terms but not an overkill either
Personally I will delay delay the decision until I get on the boat I am booked on the cruise of the 18 November
I can let you know once am back what my findings were if you wish

YES! Definitely do Nitrox. Personally, going on liveaboards was the only reason I ever got certified for Nitrox. I never use it otherwise. For me, there is a big difference in the fatigue factor for doing lots of dives. I actually feel more energized after a dive on 32% vs feeling sleepy on 21%. However, it usually takes me a dive or two to get used to breathing a higher percentage of oxygen mixture. The first dive of the trip I usually experience a "rush" which can be translated to mild anxiety; this seems to go away after the first dive.

But the second biggest reason is bottom time. I am a a photographer, and the more time I can spend in my area of interest on any given dive will increase the possibility of getting the result I am after. If I do not do nitrox on certain dives, say pinnacles that start at 60 ft, I end up floating in the blue for my safety stop with half a tank of unused air. Simply put, I pay the extra for Nitrox on LOB's because it maximizes my diving experience.:D

There is NO relationship between nitrox and reduced level of fatigue
The advantage is only extended bottom time assuming you don't consume all your gas

Yes, there is. It's pretty simple really. When a sugar molecule is broken down it enters into the muscle and combines with oxygen to form ATP, the main source of muscle energy. Therefore an increase in Oxygen to the bloodstream facilitates the production of glycogen, which in turn, increases ATP, or muscle energy. When insufficient oxygen is present, the broken down sugar molecules become lactic acid. Lactic acid collects in the muscle cells during physical activity and causes fatigue.

I am mildly anemic which means that due to a lack of iron, my red blood cells have a hard time transporting enough oxygen to my muscles to metabolize efficiently. Nitrox, which contains a higher concentration of Oxygen than the air we normally breath, increases the amount of oxygen to my blood stream and THERE IS A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE in my energy levels.

Apparently, I am not the only one, since many others say the same thing, including my girlfriend who is NOT anemic. So whatever study you are basing a definitive conclusion of "NO relationship" I think needs some re-evaluation . Bottom line is people's bodies are different, and they respond differently to compression when diving. Nitrox may help some, and I think more than likely these "some" are people who do not dive everyday on a regular basis; others may feel no difference between Nitrox and regular air.

That is what is called an unfounded theory that needs to be tested.
In fact years ago a diving agency did exactly that took a number of divers through nitrox and air without them knowing and then did physical tests. There was no difference whatsoever regardless of the mix that had been used diving

Think about it if nitrox was making you less tired wouldn't it be on the benefits list of all the diving training agencies? That would be a good selling point
However as it is not actually true that nitrox makes less tired divers nobody writes it otherwise they would probably be sued

So what you are feeling is called placebo

This summer, I was diving for five days in Raja Ampat, when doing my second dive on Manta Sandy on the sixth day of diving, diving only two times a day, maximum depth 29m, average dive time 55 minutes, my dive computer after 50 minutes told me I was too deep while watching 6 mantas cruising around at the depth of 14 meters. I did go up slowely but I was cursing. If Nitrox helps you to extend your bottom time I think this is the right place to pay the extra money.

In fact years ago a diving agency did exactly that took a number of divers through nitrox and air without them knowing and then did physical tests. There was no difference whatsoever regardless of the mix that had been used diving

Think about it if nitrox was making you less tired wouldn't it be on the benefits list of all the diving training agencies? That would be a good selling point
However as it is not actually true that nitrox makes less tired divers nobody writes it otherwise they would probably be sued

With PADI it actually IS mentioned in the nitrox course material that "some people feel less fatigued diving nitrox" or something to that effect..

Actually, it's basic physiology. It has been tested.

Here is a link to the study mentioned

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/3975/14756231.pdf?sequence=1

Conclusions were based on self report surveys and psychometric (concentration) tests, no physiological testing was performed.

Of the 12 divers who participated in the study 11 were able to complete it. 2 of which had to redo dives due to respiratory infections.

So do you honestly think that self reports from 11 divers is conclusive evidence to support that nitrox has no effect on fatigue levels for EVERY diver?

True, that's why more tests with larger population sampling, and accurate measurements should to be conducted.

I actually find this statement mildly offensive. It assumes you know my body better than I do. If we are to continue this discussion I ask that you please refrain from making statements about my diving experience that are impossible to support with evidence.

Last edited:
Not sure about what your dive qualifications are but I am a diving and nitrox instructor
We are clearly instructed to tell students what the benefits of nitrox are and we say that the proven one is extended bottom time and as consequence reduced risk of DCI.

All others ideas like yours are theories that have no back up, if they did it would end up in the training material but to date this has not happened.

For your information there are also other theories that say that increased oxygen level actually brings more free radicals and aging and fatigue, again nobody is going in depth there as nobody wants to know if that is the case

The rubicon test were not only psychometric they also looked at symptoms of fatigue if you read it carefully and a test on 10 is more significant that no test. Where is one single study that proves nitrox reduces fatigue? I would love to read it.

If there was the slightest certainty that nitrox means less fatigue I can guarantee you the diving training agencies would campaign this as the nitrox course is the most profitable specialty class we teach.

---------- Post Merged at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Another thing to consider is that if you get congested and want to use a decongestant with the same substance of sudafed you shousl watch your oxygen level carefully
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Pseudoephedrine_Enriched-Air_Diving

Back
Top Bottom