Is Padi advanced worth taking ?

Is Padi advanced worth taking ?

• Yes I learnt a lot from the course

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Not really but I wanted to be qualified to dive deeper

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No I could have learnt these things just diving with my buddy

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • I didn't think the course was worth taking so I just pretend I'm advanced so I can dive deeper

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the book but decided against the course after reading it. PADI allows "constructive credit" for AOW based on experience which will allow you to take the rescue course.

I suspect it is a faster and more controlled way to introduce a newer diver to things like deep diving, night diving, navigation, and other specialties but the school of hard knocks will get you there also.

d33ps1x once bubbled...

Oh yah. They didn't have cameras back then so I guess underwater photographer was out.
:eek:ut:

That's not all.

When I learned to dive in 1984, we didn't have Nitrox or dive computers either. This was scary stuff that only commercial divers or military divers were using.

Also my experience of advanced was like Pipedope's. We covered a lot of ground in advanced that's all split up into tiny bits now. And we had time to learn it. To pick a simple example, after AOW I could navigate. I don't mean look at a compass and hope for the best, which is what you get these days. I mean I could navigate around on feel for an hour and come out mo0re or less where I wanted to (after nearly 20 years of practice I've refined this to within a few metres). I learned this in AOW. AOW students these days follow me around and think that I'm some kind of a sorcerer the way I can navigate. I've even had some DM's ask me to teach them how I do this. I don't think that says that much about me but I have the sense that the quality of the AOW course has really taken a major turn for the worse with the big hurry to get people certified. Especially navigation.

Our AOW also included several night dives, several deep dives (which were 135ft wall dives), search and recovery, navigation (as I said), current, zero viz and probably some stuff I've forgotten. The zero viz dive was supposed to be a search and recovery dive but the weather was so bad that viz was reduced to zero. We were made to go in the water at point A, descend to max 60ft and navigate along the bottom following the 60ft depth to point B and surface within 45 min. The viz was so bad that I couldn't even seen my own hands let alone sign anything to my buddy. It was all body language and yelling through the reg. And even at 60ft we were still getting tossed around in the surge.

The night dives started as deep navigation dives across a rolling sand bottom to a point where it meets a wall. We would decend from a small bay, swim across the bottom on whatever compass course it was to a depth of about 75-80 ft and come out at the base of a wall. During the night dives we were made to simulate all kinds of equipment problems, OOA, lost light, flooded light, mask clearing and buddy breathing in the dark with a lamp hanging from your wrist, you name it. For example, the instructor would hold a slate up s0aying "YOUR LIGHT IS FLOODED" and then just reach over and turn it off. You had to find your reserve light in total darkness, turn it on, find your buddy and indicate that your main light was flooded -- then it was his turn, that kind of thing. By the last night dives, he would just come along and turn off your light or stop you and see how far your buddy went before he noticed that you weren't there or whatever.

The last day of the course the instructor had us (6 or 8 of us, I don't remember for sure) standing on shore by a small bay waiting. He came shooting around the corner of the bay on a zodiac, at some point dumped something overboard and drove up to us and said
"Oh dear, I've dropped my weightbelt overboard. Can you please find it for me?".

We were made to work out how to search for it with several divers on a rope, including communication, making huge U patterns across the bay and then lift it with a balloon. We found it near the end of the first dive.

I came away from that feeling much more secure in my skills but the one single thing that made it *so* good was learning how to navigate with confidence. It was this that finally gave me the confidence to go out and dive without any kind of supervision.

R..

Just an opinion - but any advance in your dive experience and training has got to be worthwhile - it makes you a more confident, relaxed diver and a better buddy.

you are likely to ever see. A freshly knapped flint edge is about 20 finer than the best edge on a surgical scalpel.

In 1980 there was no nitros in rec diving, dry suits were rare and there were no classes for their use.

I started diving with a horse collar BC. I did most of my advanced in one of those new jacket BCs.
A safe second was recomended but not required as everybody knew how to budy breath from one second stage.

Was that better?
No
I would not go back to those days on a bet.
The equipment and techniques of the sport have advanced and diving is much more safe and enjoyable now.

Training now is more AlaCarte. You pick and choose the areas of your interest. Oddly the cost is really not that different.
I paid about the same number of dollars for my AOW as most people do today but I had to work a lot more for those dollars. I think if I added up the small courses and adjusted the prices there would not be a big difference.

Now where did I leave my underwater cave paint?

I did my PADI AOW a few weeks ago and I think while it is a nice cert to have, it didn't teach me a whole lot or make me gain more experience. The five dives (deep, wreck, advanced navigation, search&recover and dry suit) were fun and gave me a sneak peek of what to expect from the specialty courses.

There are certainly things that would be of vital importance when doing the AOW course
Nav/Deep (no choice) - Drysuit - Search and recovery + Wreck (Dont tell the Wreck Receiver)
Some things that are nice in the whole scheme of things
Photo/Video/Naturalist(done properly)
and some things that are as useful as a fish on a bike
Boat - Drift

Even so, no one ever stops learning, and you may even remember things that you had forgotten on your OW course. Then there's the specialties Nitrox (for sure) rebreathers, Cavern, Tech stuff.

So I would say go for it. You can do all the reading in the world, but there is nothing like practical experience.

ScoobyPat once bubbled...
I did my PADI AOW a few weeks ago and I think while it is a nice cert to have, it didn't teach me a whole lot or make me gain more experience. The five dives (deep, wreck, advanced navigation, search&recover and dry suit) were fun and gave me a sneak peek of what to expect from the specialty courses.

PADI in their education theory have what they call the circles of knowledge. This is basically 4 concentric circles. You start out in the centre, the smallest circle. This is OW, you learn how to look after yourself underwater (and not much more).

In the AOW you move out one circle, and now, whilst being able to look afteryourself, you should be able to operate in a number of different surroundings.

These concentric circles go out further, with rescue followed by DM/ instructor (being able to respond correctly to problems with others, and being able to take "professional" decisions respecively).

Now, often people that were very comfortable at the OW level pass to the AOW without any problem. There is often a feeling that nothing has been learned at AOW level. This is partly because the major changes happen in confidence. AOW is about being able to operate in new surroundings. (these changes are often quite visible to more experienced divers diving with you, but not to yourself :( )

The major difference between doing AOW and getting experience by diving with a good buddy is in the theory, and also in having the extra security of doing these dives with an instructor.

HTH

Jon

<edited to correct spelling mistakes>

honestly I didnt get a whole lot out of my PADI AOW course - I really felt rushed thru it... Did a bunch of dives though to get better - practiced navigation (esp. in Bonaire!) and then took Rescue. Now theres a reason in and of itself to get AOW certified. Rescue is the best class you'll ever take!

hmmm mixed opinions !
But 67% say it's worth taking, well I'm going to the red Sea in January so I may take it over their and either way I can enjoy the scenery :)
thanks for all your responses

If you take AOW locally, you can ask other divers in your area who the good instructors are and who to avoid. As was said before, good instructors are key to classes having value.

Back
Top Bottom