Is scuba diving addiction worth being poor all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah and gather up your jewelry and sell it. Can't wear it diving anyway. :)

What do you need life insurance for? Your child is grown.

So your grown child doesn't have to pay to bury you.

chilly - I think you are onto something. Looking at the OP's profile, she may have been picking the wrong trips or not considering the "best bang for your buck" theory. I do think that ONE really great quality trip makes all the difference in the world with attitude. Hooking up with the SB group trips, or a local dive group might get her a better trip, and then it might seem like a silly question!

So your grown child doesn't have to pay to bury you.

Well, there's that. So $10, 000 can be had for about the price of a cup of coffee per month.

I can't afford trips to really nice places and live in the desert. I can afford to stay an extra couple of days on the end of a business trip once a month. Channel Islands in So Cal, Florida, Maine, Mass and parts of Asia. All work out to a few hundred bucks a whack, which is affordable. The dive gear is merely an investment, if you continue to use it over 10-20 years its not all that bad unless you keep buying the latest, greatest, best all the time.

Marry a dive buddy with a well paying job in the travel industry.

What was the question?

Satiated? Never. At least when you go out for a fancy dinner, you are full for a while. When you buy that new car, you enjoy it for a long time and it smells wonderful. Once I bought a pricy piece of jewelry which I had longed for many years and after I put it on I did not like it. It was bulky, uncomfortable and attracted unwanted attention. Sure wish scuba diving addiction felt like that piece of jewelry… Sure am happy my child has been going to Community College and is almost finished! I wonder is anyone else is in the same boat. Is this worth it?

No, it's not worth it. You need cash in the bank to cover expenses when the brown stuff hits the fan. Regardless of what you do for a hobby, I absolutely guarantee that your life will run into unexpected expenses and cash makes it all better.Spending it on diving when you have a family is selfish.

Diving is where you find it. Look for a local dive club,

I dive almost all year, and they cost me about $10 each (Nitrox), plus maybe another $20 for gas. Once a year I go on a cruise with my wife, but that's just a little treat and I only get a few dives in, however I get all the diving I want locally, when I'm home.

In fact, chances are excellent that with a little research, you'll find the local dives more interesting than the tropical dives. Any body of water big enough to hold a boat has wrecks in it. Bigger water = bigger boats and more wrecks.

Dive locally. You can dive for a whole year for the cost of a couple of boat dives in the tropics.

flots.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2013 at 06:04 PM ----------

Now if I could only stop getting higher certifications I could dive much less expensively.

It runs the other way after a while. When you get older and achier, you'll find that your set of 120LB doubles look much better on your buddy than they do on you.

flots

I can't afford trips to really nice places and live in the desert. I can afford to stay an extra couple of days on the end of a business trip once a month. Channel Islands in So Cal, Florida, Maine, Mass and parts of Asia. All work out to a few hundred bucks a whack, which is affordable. The dive gear is merely an investment, if you continue to use it over 10-20 years its not all that bad unless you keep buying the latest, greatest, best all the time.

Doug, I swear we are going to drag you and wife along with us on a trip. SCC next spring, perhaps?

robin

we just spent a week in Grand Cayman for $1600 USD pp that includes flight, food ,everything. I don't think that's too outrageous. I buy all my gear off forums or ebay for about 25-30% of new price.

Being a certified dive bum, I think having the little bit of money that was in my bank account siphoned out to fill my tanks and pay for exotic dive travel was well worth it. It's all a matter of where you place your priorities. Of course I did forego marriage and dating most of the time which helped a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom