Is Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altitude2010

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Is Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman really great? Is it better to snorkel or dive there?

Many thanks for your replies.

Altitude 2010

Agreed.

This is the dive:
cayman-topper.jpg

This is the snorkel (at Sandbar nearby):
stingray-city-sandbar.jpg

We also had snorkelers on our dive trip. But since they kept surfacing the rays seemed to ignore them. Also after the rays leave (when the squid is gone) there's often a green moray nearby. BillGreenMorayStingrayCity 5638 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Is it "worth it"? I suppose, like most things, it depends on what you like. I have heard that the some operators are very free with the food which goads the rays into a sort of feeding frenzy. Divers end up with red welts from the sting rays in the attempts to get food from just about everything. But there are other operators who do things mode sedately resulting in better behaved stingrays.

Divers end up with red welts from the sting rays in the attempts to get food from just about everything.
For me that was the BEST part. One of them worked his way up my arm, when he smelled the squid he bit me which caused the intended reaction - I opened my fist and he sucked it up instantly. They don't have teeth but just two plates used for crushing small shells - not that I'd want to stick my finger in there. I had a "hickey" on my wrist for about a year afterward. Made a good story.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your replies.

It seems that the diving in Little Cayman is much better than the diving in Grand Cayman. So, I wasn't sure if I should dive in Grand Cayman. However, I must deduct from the replies above that I should stay in Grand Cayman at least one day to dive in Sting Ray City. Right?

Altitude 2010

Yes, dive or snorkel sting ray city. I prefer the dive, but the snorkel is good to. In that pic above, notice that few people are actually snorkeling. They are missing the best part.

Looks like one of those things you should do if in you're in the neighborhood. The dive certainly looks like the better option. I'll pass on the hickey though. :D

Hi,

Thanks very much for your replies.

It seems that the diving in Little Cayman is much better than the diving in Grand Cayman. So, I wasn't sure if I should dive in Grand Cayman. However, I must deduct from the replies above that I should stay in Grand Cayman at least one day to dive in Sting Ray City. Right?

Altitude 2010

Been there twice. It's fun and worth doing but won't bother with it again.

As its only 12 feet deep you don't need to worry about flying after diving times.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom